Announcing Quota-1.2 and Acct-1.1

Post by Marco van Wieringe » Sat, 11 Dec 1993 06:25:33

Announcing QUOTA-1.2. Diskquotas for the Linux operating system.
           ACCT-1.1   Process Accounting for the Linux operating system.

QUOTA-1.2
---------

I'am proud to announce the third and much improved release of
diskquotas for the LINUX O.S. This release makes the quota-1.1
package obsolete. For people going from the 1.1 release to the
1.2 release, don't panic the quotafile structure hasn't changed
and is still compatible with the BSD quotasystem.

The utils included in the package are mostly ported commands from BSD
sources with some modifications by me because of little differences
between BSD and LINUX. The only thing we had to make redo was
the quotacheck program. Because the BSD quota stuff is only usable for
ufs-filesystems we had to write that one from scratch. This one is a
user-level one that doesn't use raw-device info but readdir to walk
trough the filesystem-tree. It seem to be quite fast even on IDE-disks.

The package contains :
        - kernel diffs for 0.99pl14 source tree
          (Please read the file HOWTO on how to install !)
        - quotaon/quotaoff program (ported from BSD)
        - edquota program (ported from BSD)
        - repquota program (ported from BSD)
        - quota program (ported from BSD) (Can query remote machines
                                           for quota for NFS mounted
                                           disks)
        - quotacheck program
        - rquota programs (Both version 1 and 2 of protocol)
        - warnquota program (New and not tested much :-))
        - Changed kernel diffs to be a bit more clean.

I probably forgot something but if you want more info read the files
HOWTO and Changelog in the package. The HOWTO isn't a TeX document yet
I will make one if I have the time, this version is an ascii document which
hopefully answers all FAQ's. (Still dreaming :-))

ACCT-1.0
--------

This package add processaccounting support to the 0.99pl14 kernel. With this
you can view back what users execute on your system with the lastcomm program.
For more info see the processaccounting stuff on BSD machines.

Authors of this quota and processaccounting implementations (for bugs and diffs):

And more important where to find it :

sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/Incoming/quota-1.2.tar.gz
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/Incoming/act-1.1.tar.gz

nic.funet.fi:/pub/OS/linux/Incoming/quota-1.2.tar.gz
nic.funet.fi:/pub/OS/linux/Incoming/act-1.1.tar.gz

1. QUOTA - Please help, where can I find 1.32 and Acct 1.32

I cannot find the 1.32 version of quota.  I cannot even find the 1.31
anyplace (I do have it on a cd - but couldn't patch it successfully,
it had trouble compiling dquot.c (no declaration of QF_OPENING,
QF_CLOSING))
I checked the common FTP site at MIT, UNC etc...and they have old
versions.

Please help me either with the QF undeclared part (The patch had
trouble patching fs.h but I think I did it ok by hand.) or finding
these new versions.
Brian Kramer-Computer Science & Mathematics-Rutgers University

SySop:NJ Computer Connection BBS (609)895-0398 - njcc.wisdom.bubble.org

2. Help with setting up 2 monitors using X

3. Looking for acct, quota patches to 1.0.9 kernel

4. where do i get...linux 4.0 from the net?...

5. Linux 1.2.0 and acct and quota

6. Auto Killing Old Processes

7. 2.5.46: switch quota and BSD acct off for busy fs?

8. How start a program at specific time and view resources use ?

9. A plea to end this acct & quota problems

10. Help with Quota and Acct?

11. Where are the lastest quota/acct tools?

12. patch 1.2.9 and kdiffs for quota+acct

13. Quota & Acct & 1.2.13