Fvwm release 0.93 (source code only) has been uploaded to sunsite,
as file /pub/Linux/Incoming/fvwm-0.93-source.tar.z. A package of Linux
binaries will follow in a few days (anticipated: 8/9/93).
Fvwm is a light-weight window manager which provides a simple virtual
desktop, a 3-D look for windows decorations, and color icons.
Memory consumption for Fvwm is about 1/2 to 1/3 that of twm.
Fvwm is targeted at machines with too little memory, and at laptops
on which mouse usage may be awkward. All window manager functions
can be performed (conveniently) without a mouse.
In this release we have the following new features:
1. Color Icons
2. A separator function for menus. See the man page under the Nop function.
3. The ability to define any size scroll or paging amount. Unfortunately
this means that you need to change your .fvwmrc file. See the README
included in the package.
4. A small utility to set the root (background) window to a color pixmap
pattern, like a color icon version of xsetroot.
1. fixed some occasional crashes
2 fvwm used to steal the color tables (sometimes) when doing move or resize
3. Windows should now remain in place when doing re-starts.
4. The transition from move and resize operations to raise-or-move and
raise-or-resize, which was started in fvwm-0.92, is now complete.
5. The exec function can be bound to a key now, instead of just
Note: If you want to use color icons, you will need to get the Xpm libraries:
/pub/X11/contrib/xpm-3.2g.tar.Z for the Xpm library, or
/pub/Linux/X11/libs, file libXpm32g.tar.z. for a pre-compiled shared
library of libXpm for Linux.
/pub/X11/contrib/xpm1icons.tar.Z, sample icons
/pub/X11/contrib/xpm2icons.tar.Z, more sample icons
/pub/X11/contrib/xpm3icons.tar.Z, still more sample icons
/pub/X11/contrib/ctwm-3.0.tar.Z, pull out the icons. ctwm has really nice