taylor uucp 1.04 - akl - "taylor config / performance" release

taylor uucp 1.04 - akl - "taylor config / performance" release

Post by Andreas Kle » Mon, 31 Jan 1994 20:17:28

Hello all !

My recompiled taylor uucp 1.04 is ready for ftp'ing.

The people who were so kind to test the package were very satisfied with it.

In common they said, that:

   - Taylor configuration style for t-uucp is easier to learn than HDB
   - The example config files, that come with this distrib are plug and play.
   - The performance is better than with current available uucp packages

I didn't ``hack'' the original source, didn't change existing protocols,
didn't add an own protocol ... but I configured t-uucp well in policy.h ;-)

Therefore better performance and perhaps due to the usage of newer compiler,
assembler and libraries, too ...

The diffs are included in the package (/etc/uucp/Diffs....)

Begin1
Title        = Taylor UUCP
Version      = 1.04
Desc1        = Recompiled under Slackware-1.1.1 (gcc-2.5.7, gas-2.2, libc.so.4.4.4)
Desc2        = Taylor and HDB config mode compiled in
Desc3        = Well documented taylor configuration template files
Desc4        = uucp.texi file and contributed software included
Author       = Ian Lance Taylor

Maintainer   = Andreas Klemm (fine tuned for Linux Slackware)

Site1        = ftp.Germany.EU.Net
Path1        = pub/comp/i386/Linux/Incoming.EUnet
Path2        = (is possibly soon moved to another location by the administrator
Path3        = of the archive server !!!)
File1        = tuucp-1.04-akl-OK.tgz
FileSize1    = 568156
Required1    = libc.so.4.4.4
Required2    = ld.so
CopyPolicy1  = GPL (GNU Public License)
CopyPolicy2  = Original Sources have to be available on distrib media !
Keywords     = taylor uucp
Entered      = 25JAN94
EnteredBy    = Andreas Klemm

End

Why another uucp package ?
--------------------------

o  I have made efforts to create *well documented* configuration
   files (taylor config style), to make uucp configuration easier
   for ``newbees'' and ``oldbees'', too ;-)

o  My package offers faster data transfer rates in comparison to
   the original package (without hacking the source !!!)

o  This package isn't missing the uulog program ;-)

o  It contains Ian Taylors contributed software:

        uurate  - Report Taylor UUCP statistics
        uuspeed - a script to parse a Taylor UUCP Stats file into
                  pretty results.
        uuclean - uucp housekeeping (yet untestet)
        uusnap  - tool to display the activities of the connected systems.
        uutraf  - uucp traffic statistic (requires perl)
        uutry   - try calling an uucp neighbor with lots of debugging
                  output
        xchat   - Extended chat processor (yet untested)

o  UUCP texinfo file ``uucp.texi'' is included. So you can make helpfiles
   for the ``info'' browsing system using ``makeinfo'' (that comes with
   slackware) and create high quality documentation using TeX and the
   GNU texinfo.tex macro package.

Have fun !

Hi Patrick ! Ready to download for Slackware 1.1.2 ?! ;-)

        Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                 /\/\____ Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH

1. Help needed with Taylor 1.04 UUCP sources.

I acquired the 1.04 gamma sources to Taylor UUCP intending to compile it
for my own use.  I was following the directions explicitly, but ran into
a snag.  It appears that the test for memset in Configure hangs up and
needs to be interrupted.  I checked my includes and a prototype exists
for the memory utilities.

As a test I recracked the archive and did a straight compile of the sources
supplied, and it completed without any major errors.  Should I be worried?

--

2. Boot problems on 7011-250 machines

3. What CPS rates connecting to a UUCP Linux box (taylor 1.04)

4. DUP (Duplicate packet error message)

5. SLS 1.01 and Taylor-UUCP 1.04

6. Netscape 6

7. Taylor UUCP 1.04 fails EAGAIN on 0.99.12

8. INET - what it is?

9. SLS 1.02 with Taylor 1.04 UUCP.

10. the WinTroll formerly known as "Taylor" is now known as "GERRI"

11. Taylor UUCP in RH5.0 "Cannot disable hardware flow control..."

12. Taylor UUCP in RH5.0:"Cannot disable hardware flow control.Input/Output error"

13. problems with "taylor uucp" set up on Linux system