Sasteroids v1.0 release (vga arcade game)

Sasteroids v1.0 release (vga arcade game)

Post by Brad Pitze » Sun, 13 Feb 1994 16:55:00

Hello linuxers!

This is to announce the release of Sasteroids v1.0 (source).

I have uploaded it to tsx-11.mit.edu to /incoming, where it will be
renamed by the maintainers to sasteroids1.0.tar.gz

I will put it on sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/Incoming/sasteroids1.0.tgz
as soon as I can access that site -- it seems to be down right now :(

        Sasteroids is an asteroids-like game, the whole point to shoot
asteroids and an occasional enemy space ship.  Ok, so its not DOOM, but it
can be amusing.  This started out as a direct port of xasteroids to run
under svgalib (super-vga graphics library by Harm Hanemaayer), but I then
decided that 256 color bitmap graphics would be more fun, then rewrote large
chunks of it in C++, then added a high-score list, a title screen, etc,
anything to avoid school work.

        Warning: I can't draw, so the asteroids look more like chunks of dog
food.  Maybe this game should be called "Save the Planet from Killer Alpo",
or something.

--Brad pitzel

Here is the lsm:
Begin2
Title        = sasteroids
Version      = 1.0
Desc1        = A version of the 'asteroids' shoot-em-up game using vga
Desc2        = color graphics. Started as a port of xasteroids to svgalib,
Desc3        = with the addition of 256 color bitmaps, a high scores list,
Desc4        = and (more than not) rewritten in C++.
Author       = Brad Pitzel

Maintainer   = Brad Pitzel

Site1        = sunsite.unc.edu
Path1        =
File1        = sasteroids1.0.tgz
FileSize1    = 61k
Required1    = To compile: svgalib (preferably v1.01 or greater)
Required2    = ncurses, g++, Linux!
Required3    = A color monitor helps.
CopyPolicy1  = Free to distribute and modify, as long as appropriate
CopyPolicy2  = credits and copyrights are maintained (see README,README.xast)
Keywords     = game, svgalib, asteroids, arcade.
Comment1     = May be slow on 386's. Performance on 386's has not been tested
Comment2     = as of this release. Uses floating point math.
Entered      = 10FEB94
EnteredBy    = Brad Pitzel

End

1. Release of sasteroids 1.1 (svga game)

[Note that this is a game that runs under svgalib, not X. --mdw]

Hello,

This is to announce the release of Sasteroids v1.1 (source).

I have uploaded it to sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/Incoming/sasteroids1.1.tar.gz
and tsx-11.mit.edu

Some of the changes from 1.0 to 1.1:

        Joystick support added (you need the joystick kernel patches if you
        want to use the joystick, but not if you just want to use the
        keyboard).

        Fixed compilation problems.

        Ncurses no longer needed to compile.

        Floating point math removed from some areas (faster for those
        without a math co-pro).

        Performance is a *bit* more stable under varying CPU loads.

BRIEF INTRO:

        Sasteroids is an asteroids-like game, the whole point to shoot
asteroids and an occasional enemy space ship.  Ok, so its not DOOM, but it
can be amusing.  This started out as a direct port of xasteroids to run
under svgalib (a wonderful super-vga graphics library by Harm Hanemaayer),
but I then decided that 256 color bitmap graphics would be more fun, then
rewrote it in C++, then added a high-score list, a title screen, changed the
game here and there, etc, anything to avoid school work.

Here's where the file may eventually end up:

Site1        = sunsite.unc.edu
Path1        = /pub/Linux/games/

Site2        = tsx-11.mit.edu
Path2        = /pub/linux/sources/usr.games/

File1        = sasteroids1.1.tar.gz
FileSize1    = 100k

--brad

2. Mass Flexible Authentication -- Help!

3. ZBlast v1.1 - simple shoot-em-up game for VGA, X

4. keypressed() function for UNIX searched

5. Tuxracer Arcade game???

6. GL/X font loading problem under 4.2

7. ANNOUNCE: new port available for xmame 0.27.1, an arcade game machine emulator

8. FIFOs vs. pipes w.r.t EOFs and select

9. Arcade Games

10. Wanted: AXP (pref UDB) tester for SVGAlib arcade game

11. Making clones of arcade games, what is legal?

12. SATAN v1.1.1 [released] and v1.1.4 [experimental] both do not compile on Redhat 6.0.

13. Sasteroids 1.1a binary release