Freedom Desktop Lite - Public Desktop Environment

Freedom Desktop Lite - Public Desktop Environment

Post by Edgar Galvi » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

            Freedom Desktop Lite Announcement (1.01)

We are pleased to announce the public availability of the Freedom
Desktop Lite. Freedom Desktop Lite is an easy-to-use yet
powerful desktop environment/GUI  integrated to the Unix
environment. It  combines ease of use and advanced  features to
help users interact with Unix quickly and efficiently.  Freedom
Desktop  runs transparently in a variety of Unix environments,
from Desktop computers (i.e. Linux)  to enterprise workstations.
Copies of Freedom Desktop Lite in binary or source code form may
be retrieved from ftp://fsw.com/pub/fdlite

The Freedom Desktop Lite environment bundles the following
applications:

- - File Manager

_ Program Manager

- - Print Tool

- - Find Tool

- - Editor

- - Terminal emulator

- - Pixmap/Icon Editor

- - Screen grabber

- - Screen saver

- - Rolodex

Optional applications:

Net news reader, Interactive image display tool, WWW browser, html editor,
and much more!

For more information feel free to visit http://www.fsw.com/fdlite/index.html

Regards,

Freedom Desktop Team

http://www.fsw.com

Quote:>>> To join the Freedom Desktop Lite mailing list send email to

- --

1. Changing Desktop Environments (Window Managers) & Performance of Desktop Environments

Hello,

Recently my educational institution purchased a UltraSparc Server (on
SunOS), along with about 35 terminals which run CDE as their desktop
environment. Although it is tolerable to use this desktop environment, come
time for about 35 students using the terminals, the terminals become
terribly slow. Furthermore, I have used other desktop environments and I
find them to be much faster when compared to CDE.
I am wondering if someone can give me a pointer on the performance of
CDE--can it expected that CDE is this slow, or are there other desktop
environments that are much faster. (The system admin is considering the
installation of KDE or XFCE)
That leads to my second question: I want to change from CDE to something
like KDE or XFCE. Being a seasoned Linux user, I'm a bit confused. When I
look into the home directory for a temporary user, I see no file by the name
of .xinitrc (this file allows one to change the window manager). I'm
confused. The only files that I found in SunOS were in /usr/dt/config/; but
none of the files mentioned changing the desktop environment.
So my second question to you is, how can I change the window manager. I know
how to install everything quite easily, but I need the login system to be
able to execute the new desktop environment.
I know not if I am very clear with this message, but if you are able to
decrypt my words, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you for your time, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Matthew J. Alicton

2. 4.2BSD / System V ioctl questions

3. Freedom Desktop Lite

4. Mac mice!

5. How can I change from GNOME desktop environment to KDE desktop env?

6. Missing rmquedev from bos.rte.printers

7. ANNOUNCE: Public Desktop Environment

8. NIS Setup questions

9. Logitech Cordless Freedom Desktop