Boo-boo in XFree86 1.3 linux binaries (Cirrus driver)

Boo-boo in XFree86 1.3 linux binaries (Cirrus driver)

Post by David Wexelbl » Sat, 19 Jun 1993 03:03:37

Apparently something happened to the source tree Zorst used to build
the 1.3 binaries.  This led to a bug in the Cirrus driver that causes
the server to crash.  Zorst will be looking into this, and checking if
any other problems exist, and will make a new binary update available
when all the problems are resolved.  In the meantime, you can work
around the problem as follows:

        1) Get the 1.3 Link Kit from the archives.
        2) Install the Link Kit
        3) cd to /usr/X386/lib/Server/drivers/vga256/cirrus
        4) Edit cir_driver.c and add the line
                NoopDDA,
           between the NoopDDA and cirrusSetRead lines in the definition
           of the CIRRUS structure
        5) cd to /usr/X386/lib/Server, read the README, and rebuild
           the server from the link kit.

Sorry for the hassles.

--

AT&T Bell Laboratories, 200 Laurel Ave - 3F-428, Middletown, NJ  07748

"How many times must good men die?  How many tears will the children cry,
 'til we suffer no more sadness?  Oh, stop the madness.  Stop all the madness."
        -- Molly Hatchet, Fall Of The Peacemakers.

--

1. root "no shell" boo-boo

Subject: root "no shell" boo-boo

The scenario:

A friend has a brand new Sparc Station 5.  After a few hours of
installing Solaris from the CD-ROM, the first action while logged
in as root was to edit /etc/passwd and change root's shell from
/sbin/sh to /sbin/csh.  Oops.

Now, on login as root, the error message, "no shell" appears and
returns to the login prompt.

The problem, of course, is that csh is not in the /sbin directory.
No other logins were created.  Bummer.  What can they do to
fix this, besides installing the entire Solaris CD-ROM from
scratch?

2. TFTP on a Solaris 7 Box

3. Sol2.6 realloccg: fs full - is my FS boo-boo?

4. Setting up xdm/xinit?

5. root "no shell" boo-boo

6. Name That x86 Hardware

7. boo-boo follow-up

8. SIIG SounWave Elite 2000 sound card on Linux

9. su, pam, Red Hat 7.0: I made a boo-boo

10. Root boo boo

11. The server made a boo boo error, please help

12. Upgrade Boo Boo....

13. mkswap on main DOS/linux partition: big Boo ?