Free NExS Spreadsheet Genetic Algorithm Plug-In

Free NExS Spreadsheet Genetic Algorithm Plug-In

Post by xes » Mon, 10 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Genetic Algorithm Plug-In for NExS Released
X Engineering Software Systems (XESS Corp.) announces the immediate
availability of a genetic algorithm (GA) plug-in for its NExS spreadsheet.
Those interested in the genetic algorithm plug-in can download the source
code and a PostScript manual from www.xess.com. A free, 30-day version of
the NExS spreadsheet and the new conNExions-BETA API can also be downloaded
for the HP/UX, AIX, Digital UNIX, SunOS, Solaris and Linux platforms.

Genetic algorithms (GA) solve optimization problems by modeling potential
solutions as chromosomes which can breed with one another to produce better
solutions through the forces of natural selection.

a fitness function that is affected by a group of 1/0 variables in the
sheet. Any NExS function or combination of functions can be used to specify
the fitness function.

The GA plug-in interacts with the NExS spreadsheet through the
conNExions-BETA API. The source code for the plug-in is being made available
for modification and customization.

NExS Product Manager Dave Vanden Bout stated:

     There has been a lot of interest in using NExS for optimization
     problems. We released the genetic algorithm plug-in so our
     customers could have a tool that addresses nonlinear optimization
     problems. By also releasing the source code, they can modify the
     basic algorithm to match their particular problems without having
     to create all the boilerplate code for linking it to NExS.

                                  - 30 -

Previous NExS-Related News Releases
   * Updated Tcl/Tk Interface for the NExS Spreadsheet
   * Linear Programming Plug-In for NExS Released
   * Academic Pricing for NExS Personal Edition Introduced
   * Free 30-Day Trial Licenses for NExS
   * NExS Version 1.3-BETA Available
        o New Features in NExS 1.3-BETA
        o Bug Fixes from NExS 1.2 to NExS 1.3-BETA
   * Buy NExS for UNIX, Get NExS for Linux Free!
   * NExS Version 1.2 Available

- --
|| Information Director    XESS Corp.               (919) 387-0076 ||

|| http://www.xess.com     Apex, NC 27502 USA   FAX:(919) 387-1302 ||

- --

1. Reward for NExS Spreadsheet Plug-Ins

XESS Corp. Encourages Third-Party Plug-Ins for the NExS Spreadsheet
X Engineering Software Systems (XESS Corp.) announces the initiation of a
program to encourage the creation of plug-ins for the NExS spreadsheet by
third-parties. Henceforth, the author of any code that XESS Corp. chooses to
publish on its Web site will receive a free license for the NExS Personal
Edition spreadsheet.

NExS Product Manager Dave Vanden Bout stated:

     Many of our customers are interfacing NExS to other tools in
     unique ways. We want to encourage them to share their creations
     with others. We'll admit that a free copy of NExS is hardly
     adequate compensation for the work that goes into many of these
     plug-ins, but a small reward is better than no reward. And we are
     not limiting this program to just plug-ins: anyone who has a NExS
     spreadsheet for an interesting application or a document
     explaining how to use NExS in a particular area is eligible for
     this program. Just e-mail it to us. If we use it, we'll send you a
     free NExS license.

Those interested in the various plug-ins currently available for the NExS
spreadsheet can check them out at www.xess.com. XESS Corp. provides these
plug-ins on an unsupported basis in the hopes that they might be useful to
users of the NExS spreadsheet. In addition, a free, 30-day version of the
NExS spreadsheet and the new conNExions-BETA API can also be downloaded for
the HP/UX, AIX, Digital UNIX, SunOS, Solaris and Linux platforms.

                                - 30 -

Previous news releases on the NExS Spreadsheet
   * New Interface Between Perl and the NExS Spreadsheet
   * Simulated Annealing Plug-In for NExS Released

--
|| Information Director    XESS Corp.               (919) 387-0076 ||

|| http://www.xess.com     Apex, NC 27502 USA   FAX:(919) 387-1302 ||

2. Simple PPP Question

3. WANTED: Reward for NExS Spreadsheet Plug-Ins

4. Help: how to turn the monitor into power saving?

5. linear programming plug-in for the NExS spreadsheet

6. HELP! how do i setup linux to use my Seagate 4/8GB Travan Tape Drive?

7. EZ WORDPROCESSOR QUESTION!

8. Free NExS Simulated Annealing Plug-In

9. Free NExS spreadsheet software for UNIX users

10. Updated Tcl/Tk Interface for the NExS Spreadsheet

11. New Interface Between Perl and the NExS Spreadsheet

12. Updated Tcl/Tk Interface for the NExS Spreadsheet