Yet Another Binary Release of xv 3.00

Post by Jean Lidd » Tue, 04 May 1993 19:02:30

This evening I uploaded new binaries for xv 3.00 to sunsite.unc.edu.
They are currently in /pub/Linux/Incoming, as xv3.00+gzip.tar.z.

Why another binary release of xv?

This release was compiled with libgr 1.2 (and hence REQUIRES that
the library be installed to run).  The binary is much smaller as
a result, and running multiple copies is much easier on memory.

This release supports:
   * TIFF
   * Postscript (gs must be in /usr/bin)
   * gzip compressed images (gunzip must be in /usr/bin)
   * all the other goodies normally supported by xv

The hack to support gzip wasn't too difficult - mainly just telling xv
to accept .z files, to use gunzip instead of uncompress, and telling it
how to recognized gzipped files by looking at the first two bytes.  I
have forwarded cdiffs of the changes I've made to the author.

This release contains only the 4 binaries - no docs, no source otherwise.
I didn't wish to clutter up sunsite with another HUGE distribution.  The
docs (postscript, which can be displayed by xv itself and are very good)
are available with the original source, from export.lcs.mit.edu.

Any problems or comments about the binaries themselves can be sent to

program (not to mention donations) can be sent to

see the README file for more details.

enjoy!

Jean.

1. Upload of XV 3.00 binaries (with TIFF support) to tsx-11, nic.funet.fi

Hi,

I just uploaded my result of compiling the new xv version 3.00 under
Linux. This one has working TIFF-support, I think there was another
"port" already, but without that.

xv3binlp.tgz should soon appear in the appropriate places of

  tsx-11.mit.edu
and
  nic.funet.fi

Also on cfgauss.uni-math.gwdg.de in linux.

At the moment you could get it from ftp.gwdg.de:pub/incoming, but it
won't stay there forever.

Please try to avoid using *.gwdg.de if other sites are "nearer".

/xv3binlp.tgz:
rwx------ 589/15       0 May  1 10:57 1993 xv-3.00-bin/
rwx------ 589/15  693252 May  1 08:40 1993 xv-3.00-bin/xv
rwx------ 589/15   13316 May  1 08:40 1993 xv-3.00-bin/xcmap
rwx------ 589/15   17412 May  1 08:40 1993 xv-3.00-bin/vdcomp
rwx------ 589/15    9220 May  1 08:40 1993 xv-3.00-bin/bggen
rw------- 589/15    2475 May  1 08:42 1993 xv-3.00-bin/bggen.man
rw------- 589/15     870 May  1 08:42 1993 xv-3.00-bin/xv.man
rw------- 589/15    1395 May  1 08:42 1993 xv-3.00-bin/xcmap.man
rw------- 589/15    2950 May  1 08:54 1993 xv-3.00-bin/README
rw------- 589/15    1634 May  1 11:00 1993 xv-3.00-bin/README.linux-bin
rw------- 589/15   29209 May  1 08:52 1993 xv-3.00-bin/CHANGELOG.z

xv3binlp.tgz.ind is present, too.

README.linux-bin:

This directory contains the binaries of the latest version of XV, the
interactive image display program by John Bradley, 3.00.
In contrast to an announced version that's without TIFF-support this
one has all the nice (new) features, including display of color
Postscript files, if Ghostscript is installed as /usr/bin/gs.
It's compiled with shared libs, libc 4.3 and libX11 3.0, and seems to
work perfectly well.
See the file README or press the Licence button for copyright remarks.
In order to save space, I am including only the man-pages, which are
of
almost no use in the case of xv because it points to the manual.
You can get this (8 MB postscript file etc.) out of the source code
distribution which can be found on more and more ftp sites, I think.
Installation: simply copy the executables to /usr/bin/X11 and the
man-pages to to /usr/man/man1, renaming *.man to *.1 of course.
Thanks to John for writing this really good program. It compiled quite
out of the box (changed three defines in conjuction with "const"
warnings and had to substitute RANLIB.csh because I have no csh
installed :)). The only real problem could be the amount of memory
necessary especially to compile the TIFF-lib. 18 MB were used, good
that I've 8 MB + 20 MB swap space...
Think that's enough for one more of these boring READMEs. :)

Have a nice day,

   Lutz

--

( W-3400 G"ottingen, Germany. Tel.: (+49[0]551) 7700178 | joke here :) )
[ D-37085 G"ottingen  <--- new PLZ (postal code), valid from 01.07.93! ]

2. ZDNet gives Java/Linux a Puff (Feb 22)

3. Raw install onto GeForce 2 MX system

4. xv 3.00 source

5. USB keyboard and mouse

6. XV 3.00 Crashes my entire system

7. Multiple Timers Per Process

8. Where are the tgz/binary/i386/gcc/ binary release for KDE Beta 4????

9. yet another ld.so screwup : xv

10. binaries wanted for NetBSD 1.0: xv xpaint pdksh pgp2.6

11. xv-2.21 binaries for jump-4.1 -- yes, please!!

12. Does anyone need xv-2.21 binaries for jump 4.1?