Debian 1.3 Beta Test, and other Debian News

Debian 1.3 Beta Test, and other Debian News

Post by Bruce Pere » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

DEBIAN 1.3 AVAILABLE FOR BETA TEST, and other Debian news

In this issue:
        Debian 1.3 Available for Beta Test.
        Debian Project Re-Opens After Re-Organization.
        Debian in Space!
        Debian 2.0 Progress.
        Debian Ports
        Send Money!

DEBIAN 1.3 AVAILABLE FOR BETA TEST

Debian 1.3 is now in beta test. We are performing a month-long test
with an organized quality control team. If you'd like to be an official

The Debian 1.3 files are under the "frozen" directory on most of the
Debian mirror sites. There are now 73 Debian mirrors worldwide! You can
find the mirror list at ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/README.mirrors or
ftp://debian.crosslink.net/pub/debian/README.mirrors . Please consider
that this is beta-quality software and there will be bugs. If you have
any problem, please see the information on our bug-tracking system
at http://www.debian.org/support.html , or write to Dale at the above
address.

DEBIAN PROJECT RE-OPENS AFTER RE-ORGANIZATION

I recently announced that I was closing the Debian project down for a
week, for re-organization. The problem was that with 200 people we
simply could not run the organization as we did with 60 or 100, when we
simply discussed a decision among the developers and arrived at a
consensus. We have had to implement measures such as opinion polls so
that the project leaders can be sure they are supported by the
developers on certain decisions. Although I had feared that some
developers would walk off in a huff, that did not happen. Development
did continue during the "closing" period, and we are now open for
business again.

We have de-centralized Debian's resources. Our DNS, mailing lists, and
FTP archive are now each on a geographically separate system from the
others, and are each managed by a separate individual or team.
Previously, all three functions were on one system. This move reduces
the possibility that a failure at one system or the unavailability of
one system manager could devastate the project. In addition, we have
provided hot-site backup systems for all of these functions, and the
hot-sites are separately managed from the primary systems.

DEBIAN IN SPACE

As I write this a Debian 1.2 system is controlling an experiment in the
Microgravity Science Lab in orbit aboard the Space Shuttle mission STS-83.
Unfortunately, the shuttle will be returning to Earth early, due to a
fuel-cell failure.

DEBIAN 2.0 IN PROGRESS

Debian 2.0 is now under development. The major feature of 2.0 will be
"LIBC 6", otherwise known as GNU LIBC Version 2. We decided to put out
Debian 1.3 rather than going directly to 2.0 so that there would be a
robust and up-to-date Debian system in release while we deal with any
LIBC 6 conversion problems.

DEBIAN PORTS

A number of unreleased Debian ports are available for testing and
development. The Debian 68k port runs on Atari and Amiga, and there
are currently installation floppies for Atari. The ALPHA port is
self-hosting but does not yet have boot floppies, and many packages
have not been compiled for ALPHA. The SPARC port is in development.
A PowerPC port is expected to begin soon.

SEND MONEY

We need another $200 or so to do our incorporation, and we'll need a few
hundred to register a few trademarks. If you'd like to make a monetary
donation to the Debian project, please write to our Treasurer, Tim Sailer,

donation, and how to transfer currency from other nations.

        Thanks

        Bruce Perens
        Debian Project Leader
- --

PGP fingerprint = 88 6A 15 D0 65 D4 A3 A6  1F 89 6A 76 95 24 87 B3

- --