-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
This is to announce the release of a late alpha version of Taper.
This is considered late alpha because of the monumental changes in
the info file structure and handling. Archives made under previous
versions of taper are compatible with the new release, however, the
info files will have to be recreated using the utility menu.
Major changes in taper 6.8
* Uses m-tree indexed info files so that the info data is not stored
in memory, hence system load and memory usage has plummetted.
Results in four info files per archive - base, data and two index
files. The index files do not need to be saved since they
can be regenerated with a new utility - reindex info file
* New option - --size-dirs : allows you turn of sizing of directories
while selecting files for backup
* New option - --unattended-id : when doing an unattended backup,
allows you to specify which archive to add a backup to abort backup
if that tape is not in the drive
* Get file details in backup & restore windows
* Able to search archive for a particular file
* Able to search disk directory for a particular file
* Able to jump to a particular directory in backup or restore
* Long filenames are handled better - like midnight commander
* Few changes to user interface for more consistency : see changes file
* Few bug fixes including in auto-detecting end of tape
Description: This is a tape backup and restore program that provides
a friendly user interface to allow backing/restoring
files to a tape drive. Alternatively, files can be backed
up to hard disk files. Selecting files for backup and restore
is very similar to the Mouseless Commander interface and
allows easy traversal of directories. Recursively selected
directories are supported. Incremental backup and automatic
most recent restore are defaults settings. SCSI, ftape,
zftape, and removable drives are supported (ide tape drives
in ALPHA stage)
Information about archives is stored on the hard disk
allowing information about archives to be obtained without
having to have the tape in the drive.
Web Page: www.multiline.com.au/~yusuf
Keywords: Tape, Backup, Archive
Primary-site: sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/system/Backup/taper-6.8.0a1.tar.gz
Also available from web page
Platforms: linux > 1.2.1
ncurses >= 1.9.6 with the forms library
GCC > 2.6.1
- From Yusuf Nagree
Author & Maintainer of Taper
Latest Stable version 6.7.4 Aug 1996
Latest Alpha verison 6.8.0a1 March 1997
Web Page: www.multiline.com/~yusuf
This article has been digitally signed by the moderator, using PGP.
http://www.iki.fi/liw/lars-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating signature.
PLEASE remember a short description of the software and the LOCATION.
This group is archived at http://www.iki.fi/liw/linux/cola.html
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----