Linux/MS-Windows swap space sharing - correction

Linux/MS-Windows swap space sharing - correction

Post by H. Peter Anv » Mon, 14 Nov 1994 22:15:22

I have recently received a large number of reports about a problem
with by Mini-HOWTO on Linux/MS-Windows swap space sharing available
from <ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/Swap-Space>.
The symptom is that Windows claims the permanent swap file is
corrupted after Linux has been using a lot of swap.  It appears the line:

  /bin/zcat /etc/winswap.gz | dd of=/dev/winswap 2>/dev/null

... which occurred in the shutdown script fragment (to be put in
/etc/brc or /etc/rc.d/rc.0, depending on what your distribution calls
it) does not work properly with some versions of dd.  Changing this
line to:

  /bin/zcat /etc/winswap.gz > /dev/winswap

... appears to correct the problem for several people I have talked to
about this problem.

I have revised the Mini-HOWTO and submitted it to Matt Welsh; it
should appear in the above location fairly soon.

Especially Slackware users seem to be vulnerable to this problem,
which makes me wonder if the version of dd shipped with Slackware is
suspect.

        /hpa
--

IBM MAIL: I0050052 at IBMMAIL     HAM RADIO:   N9ITP or SM4TKN
FIDONET:  1:115/511 or 1:115/512  STORMNET:    181:294/1 or 181:294/101