1. Linux for MS-DOS Filesystems release 0.1.a
If you forget where you got this, it's in ftp.netcom.com:/pub/ec/ecarp/linux.*
Release notes for Linux for MS-DOS filesystems
Release date: 1/14/95
Release version: 0.1.a
This release of linux (based on the 1.1.76 kernel) has been configured for the
IDE HD controller
386/486 processor with or without FP
4 MB minimum RAM
13 MB minimum free HD space
No networking card
No support for either networking cards or SCSI HD controllers has been compiled
This release is designed to sit on to of the MS-DOS filesystem, eliminating the
need for repartitioning your hard drive. It is a minimal linux release,
and is specifically designed to support SLIP/CSLIP/PLIP connections to a
remote server. This release supports elm, smail, telnet, ftp, as well as
the usual familiar networking utilities. This release also supports irc.
To install, follow these steps:
1. Download LINUX.ZIP to your system.
2. cd to \.
3. Do "pkunzip -d linux.zip"
4. Run INSTALL.BAT. This will boot linux up in single user mode.
5. When asked for a password, just hit return.
6. At the "#" prompt, type "inst". This will start up the configuration
routine. Fill in the blanks - when you are done, press CTRL-D to
configure the system and reboot with the new configuration.
7. When the system reboots to DOS, type "linux". This will bring the
system up in multiuser mode.
8. Congratulations! You are now running linux. :)
Hopefully, you're not a new linux user, because this release contains no
source code for anything, nor does it contain much in the way of basic
documentation. It does contain a minimal set of manpages, though.
and I'll try to help. Unfortunately, I can't help anyone with basic linux or
UNIX questions. :(
801/534-8857 voicemail 801/460-1883 digital pager
** PGP encrypted email preferred! **
"What's the use of distant travel if only to discover - you're homeless in
your heart." --Basia, "Yearning"
PLEASE remember Keywords: and a short description of the software.
2. Backup on Syquest SyJet
3. Announcing release 0.1 of the GNU Hurd
4. Need to find basic to c translator
5. ANNOUNCE: ibmonitor v1.0.1 Release
6. AddType and AddHandler
7. Simple Kernel-User Event Interface (Was: RE: [ANNOUNCE] udev 0.1 release)
8. Boot messages
9. ANNOUNCE: Flash Web Server v 0.1 alpha released
10. ANNOUNCE: KNode 0.1 released
11. ECD (Encrypted CDrom) 0.1 for linux 2.2.14 released
12. PFL for Linux 0.1 released
13. linux-zeta 0.1 release