Scanner Driver for EPSON Scanners

Post by Adam Jenkin » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

EPSCAN is a scanner driver for EPSON ES-1200C/GT-9000 scanners.  It
includes a driver and a nice X frontend.  It allows previewing, and
selecting a region of an image to be scanned, as well as changing
scanner settings.  It only supports scanners attached to a SCSI port,
not to the parallel port.

I have uploaded EPSCAN to
        ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/Incoming/epscan-0.1.tar.gz
and an rpm version to
        ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/Incoming/epscan-0.1-1.src.rpm
        ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/Incoming/epscan-0.1-1.i386.rpm

The rpm version will probably be moved in a few days to
        ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib/epscan-0.1-1.src.rpm
        ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib/epscan-0.1-1.i386.rpm

The sunsite version will probably be moved to
        ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/graphics/scanners/epscan-0.1.tar.gz

I've also attached the README file below.

- --
Adam P. Jenkins

University of Massachusetts/Amherst
Office Number: (413) 545-3506

- -------------------- EPSCAN README -------------------------
- ------------

This is EPSCAN, my first public release of a scanning program for
EPSON scanners on Linux.  It contains a driver, as well as an
X-windows front-end.  I have only tested it on an EPSON
ES-1200C/GT-9000 scanner, but it should work for any of the
ES-{300-800}C / GT-{1000-6500} models as well.  (Could anyone who has
one of these other models confirm or deny this for me?  Thanks.)

*NOTE*: EPSCAN only supports scanners attached to a SCSI port.  The
parallel port interface isn't supported since our scanner isn't set up
that way.  The driver is written modularly, so it should be very easy
to integrate a parallel driver if someone wants to write one.

The X-windows front-end allows changing all the scanner settings,
previewing the page, and selecting only a region to be scanned.

Please read the file "epscan.manual", in this directory, for
documentation on using EPSCAN. Installation instructions are below.

Requirements:
- -------------
Linux 2.x
XFree3.x
Qt library version >= 1.1
libtiff version >= 3.4
g++ version >= 2.7.2

You can get the Qt library from http://www.troll.no.   Of
course EPSCAN may work with older versions of Linux, XFree, and g++;
this is just what I developed it with.

Files:
- ------
epscan.manual           -- This is where to find the full program
                           documentation. It is also available inside the
                           program by clicking on Help.
README                  -- This file.
Imakefile               -- Imakefile for epscan
driver/Scsi.*           -- Scsi device driver.
driver/Scanner.*        -- The scanner driver code.
*.{cc,h}                -- source code.

Installation:
- -------------

[ Removed by moderator --liw ]

Acknowledgments:
 ----------------

I used the Qt library for the X frontend.  Qt is a very nice C++ GUI
library.  I highly recommend it if you're interested in X programming
with C++.  If interested, check out Troll Tech's home page at
http://www.troll.no.

Thanks to Tim D. Gilman for releasing his qprogress widget for Qt,
which I used in this program.

License:
- --------
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at
your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
General Public License for more details.  You should have received a
copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if
not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave,
Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

Author:
- -------

- --

1. Scanner driver for Epson scanner

Hello -

I would greatly appreciate any pointers to software / drivers for
scanners, especially Epson
flatbed color scanners. I've hunted, and the only thing I have come up
with so far is some stuff
for HPs, which just don't seem to do the job!

Response by e-mail preferred, and I will summarize back to the group.

Thank you!

Michael

2. Brand New Unix Resource Center ( http://unixhosting.ca )

3. Add Epson Perfection 1640SU scanner to scanner.c

4. To boot with SCSI HD and Linux on IDE HD

5. Q: Driver for Epson GT-6500 Scanner, parallel port

6. Password Reset Utility

7. NEED:Epson Perfection636 scsi scanner drivers

8. URGENT -- Help with named

9. ANNOUNCE: Epson USB scanner driver

10. Q: Driver for epson GT-8000 scanner.

11. ocr linux scanner: ocr support for linux scanners?

12. System Security Scanner & Internet Security Scanner

13. Scanner software for a AGFA DuoScan scanner