Linux FSSTND v1.0 released

Post by Daniel Quinl » Sun, 20 Feb 1994 00:34:37

The first public version of the FSSTND (short for "filesystem standard")
is now available for anonymous ftp.  This standard documents an extensive
effort to map out an improved filesystem structure for Linux systems.

This standard has been under development since August 1993, and it is
still being worked on today.  It is being released at this stage in order
that developers may voluntarily begin following it.  Some changes are
expected.

* Why is there a filesystem standard?

  The open and distributed development of Linux has fostered rapid
  growth of the operating system, many applications, and integrated
  distributions.  This decentralized process, however, has created a
  need for standardizing the structure of the filesystem.  This
  standard aims to define locations and specifications for files and
  directories in Linux systems.  This will allow users, developers, and
  distributors to assemble parts of the system from various sources
  that will work together as smoothly as if they had been developed
  under a monolithic development process.  It will also make general
  documentation less difficult, system administration more consistent,
  and development of second and third party packages easier.

* Who is using it?

  The FSSTND is already being utilized by many different Linux
  implementations, including: Debian, Slackware, TAMU, Linux/PRO, LILO,
  Rik Faith's util-linux package, and others.  Additional developers
  intend to follow it with upcoming releases and it is our hope that
  this cooperative Linux effort may gain in momentum.

* Who is it intended for?

  The filesystem standard is not directed at end-users.  Instead,
  it is primarily intended to be used by those who develop Linux
  distributions, binary packages, documentation, etc.

--

The draft is available through anonymous ftp in

   tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/docs/linux-standards/fsstnd

   fsstnd-1.0.dvi.gz    DVI version
   fsstnd-1.0.ps.gz     PostScript version
   fsstnd-1.0.txt.gz    ASCII version

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to direct them
towards me or, if your prefer, any contributor listed in the standard.

Daniel Quinlan
FSSTND Coordinator

1. Linux FSSTND v1.0 released

I've got it, I've read it and generally it looks good.  However, I'm
still confused abut /usr vs /usr/local.  WHere should something like
Ghostscript go?  On the one hand it comes with many distributions and it
is used by a lot of people to print.  On the other hand it is
generally considered outside of the linux world to be local software.
Note that I'm talking about my system here, I'm not really intending
to distribute it.

Similarly, what about gopherd?  Should this be /usr/local/sbin to
match the 'bundled' network utilities in /usr/sbin?

--

"He'd never wanted much, except perhaps to be left alone and not woken up
 until midday"                             -- Moving Pictures, Terry Pratchett

2. hi

3. Release of Linux FSSTND 1.2

4. sendmail-8.8.3 for aix 3.2.5

5. Interim Release of Linux FSSTND

6. emergency recovery of deleted tarfile

7. SATAN v1.1.1 [released] and v1.1.4 [experimental] both do not compile on Redhat 6.0.

8. Wu-ftp problems

9. PRESS RELEASE: Linux V1.3

10. clgen v1.0 - m68k Linux graphic board driver, 1st release

11. Press Release - Linux V1.2