ANNOUNCE: xdm source with shadow support + ftpd ditto

ANNOUNCE: xdm source with shadow support + ftpd ditto

Post by Mike Jagdi » Wed, 03 Feb 1993 07:11:55

Uploaded to tsx-11.mit.edu, sunsite.unc.edu and nic.funet.fi

        xdm.taz  - source for xdm with shadow support
        ftpd.c.Z - replacement for ftpd.c in ftpd sources (net-src 0.2)
                   has shadow support.

the shadow documentation and/or source code for the*details.

  The original xdm I had had some shadow support in there already. The
changes I made for shadow 3.2.2 are ifdef'ed linux just to be awkward!

  The ftpd.c code has the shadow changes ifdef'ed SHADOWPWD just be
even more awkward!

  To compile either of these you need the shadow 3.2.2 sources. Specifically
the pwauth.h file must be locatable as <shadow/pwauth.c>, you need to link
against the libshadow.a library and you also need to link in verify.o (which
I added to libshadow.a on my system).

  The changes are more or less copied straight out of login.c. They seem
to work ok on my system but then I didn't set out to make an elegant
solution for the masses originally :-)

                             Mike

--

Post by Peter MacDona » Wed, 03 Feb 1993 13:02:47

>Uploaded to tsx-11.mit.edu, sunsite.unc.edu and nic.funet.fi

>    xdm.taz  - source for xdm with shadow support
>    ftpd.c.Z - replacement for ftpd.c in ftpd sources (net-src 0.2)
>                   has shadow support.

>Both these support the full shadow 3.2.2 features, including the use of

>the shadow documentation and/or source code for the*details.

>  The original xdm I had had some shadow support in there already. The
>changes I made for shadow 3.2.2 are ifdef'ed linux just to be awkward!

>  The ftpd.c code has the shadow changes ifdef'ed SHADOWPWD just be
>even more awkward!

>  To compile either of these you need the shadow 3.2.2 sources. Specifically
>the pwauth.h file must be locatable as <shadow/pwauth.c>, you need to link
>against the libshadow.a library and you also need to link in verify.o (which
>I added to libshadow.a on my system).

>  The changes are more or less copied straight out of login.c. They seem
>to work ok on my system but then I didn't set out to make an elegant
>solution for the masses originally :-)

>                             Mike

>--

I should have spoke up sooner.  The shadow password in SLS does not require
modifying source code to be used.  Instead you just compile with -DSHADOW_PWD
and link -lshadow.  An interface with getpw* is included.  This will get a
password from /etc/shadow and overwrite the value in the pwd struct, only
if /etc/shadow has a password for the user.  Else, it uses the /etc/passwd one.
If you like, you can get the source from the SLS s1 disk.

Sorry Mike.

Peter

--

1. XDM source? Shadow support broken.

Perhaps this should be posted in comp.x.windows (er something like that) but
unfortunately, my site does not carry this group :-(.

I have setup XDM and it is ALMOST working correctly. I have shadow passwords on
my system and have linked xdm with shadow password support. BUT passwords longer
than 8 characters are not accepted.

I seem to recall some mentioning that the xdm-shadow is NOT setup for long shadow
passwords and recompilation is required. For the moment, I have changed my
password to less than 8 characters and I can get in and xdm works. I would like
to fix this.

Anyone has the source to xdm that they could send to me? The XFree source seems
to only include the Xservers and I do not want to ftp 40M of code for the MIT X
distribution.

I have XFree 2.1 and Linux 1.1.24. If you can help, please let me know.

Thanks
Mark

System Admin.          |  uunorth!datasoft!root    |  Willowdale, ON  |
DataSoft Communications|  (416) 756-4497           |  M2J 4N5 CANADA  |
  How many Microsoft programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?
  None. They defined darkness a standard.  - UNIXWorld, Dec. 1993

2. Negative dynamic priorities in 2.5.6[4-6]?

3. Shadow passwords, xdm, ftpd, passwd

4. Enlightenment

5. FTPD & POP3D w/ Shadow Support

6. Script conversion from csh --> sh

7. wu.ftpd with shadow-support

8. Looking for web log analyzer with some special features

9. Fixes wu-ftpd 2.4 with shadow support?

10. look for ftpd support shadow password In SunOS 4.1.x

11. XDM with shadow support ?

12. xdm /w shadow support. HOW????

13. Sources for shadow password file support?