ANNOUNCE: New release of XView libraries, OL[V]WM and tools

ANNOUNCE: New release of XView libraries, OL[V]WM and tools

Post by Kenneth Osterber » Sat, 16 Jan 1993 00:50:12

An updated release of my XView port has been uploaded to tsx-11.mit.edu
and sunsite.unc.edu. The new package is called xview3L3.tar.Z, and will
replace xview3L2 in tsx-11:/pub/linux/binaries/usr.bin.X11/.

The xview libraries (olgx, xview and sspkg) have been recompiled with
GCC 2.3.3, and olwm and the other tools use libc4.2. There are two
major additions to the package:

- olvwm is now included. This is olvwm 3.3. All functions that I have tried
works, including DIRMENU & WINMENU.

- Added a new (static) library to the package for C++ programmers, called UIT
(User Interface Toolkit). Here is a short description:

WHAT IS UIT (from introduction in UIT documentation)
The UIT is a tool/class library for C++ programmers developing OpenWindows
user interfaces.

The UIT has two parts:
* A hierarchy of OpenLook-conformant user-interface classes, realized in
  C++ on top of the XView toolkit. These are the user-interface components
  (UIC).

* A tool to convert OpenWindows developer's guide (DevGuide) output into
  C++ code that uses the UIC. This part is the guide to UIC utility, or `guic`.

  [note. `guic` was provided as a Sun-binary only, and is not included in the
  linux package (anyone wanna build a Sparc emulator:-) :-) I'd recommend
  getting the whole package from export.lcs.mit.edu, the Postscript docs are
  over 1MB, and not included]

To get a feeling for the UIT API, here is a "hello world" type program
which opens a window and displays the usual string in it. Who said X Windows
development must be difficult? :-)

// Simple hello world program using UIT
#include <uit/BaseWindow.h>
#include <uit/ComponentDisplay.h>
#include <uit/TextItem.h>
#include <uit/Notifier.h>

main (int argc, char **argv) {
  BaseWindow w;                     // Create window
  w.initUI(argc, argv);
  w.setWidth(230); w.setHeight(68);
  w.setDisplayFooter(FALSE);
  w.setLabel("UIT Window");
  w.show(TRUE);

  ComponentDisplay c(TRUE);         // Create canvas
  c.setLocation(0, 0);
  c.setWidth(230); c.setHeight(68);
  w.addDisplay(c);

  TextItem t("Hello World");        // Create text string
  t.setLocation(80, 30);
  c.addComponent(t);

  Notifier n;                       // Realize it
  n.start();

Quote:}

I also wrote a "real" example, a program I call Linux Meminfo, which
obtains information from /proc/meminfo, /proc/loadavg and /proc/uptime,
and presents the data using OpenLook gauges. The program is included
as source in the package. (requires a recent linux kernel to work)