kill -9 doesn't kill a process

Post by Jim Rei » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Sometimes when i am running several server applications we are developing the
> process will "hang" and will not respond to anything. I try the kill command
> passing every signal there is (including 9) but it doesn't seem to have any
> affect on the process. I usually rename the file (using mv) and ignore the
> problem as the process is eventually killed when the machine is
> restarted each  week.

> How could a process act this way?

Probably because of a kernel bug. Processes sometimes go to sleep in
the kernel at an uninterruptable priority: for example when waiting
for a disk buffer to become free. When a signal is sent to such a
process, it can't be delivered until the resource the process was
waiting on becomes available and the process gets scheduled to run.
If/when a process is in this state, no kill signal is going to be
delivered and acted on.

So, you need to find out what event your daemon was waiting on (the
WCHAN field of the ps output would help) and take this up with the
vendor. One possibility to rule out is NFS. If your daemon talks
to a hard-mounted remote file system and the server is not responding,
the daemon may block until the server comes back. Another thing to
eliminate is a new device driver. If these are not written properly,
they might not release kernel resources such as buffers which can
cause resource starvation and may well make processes sleep (block)
forever at non-interruptable priority.

Quote:> We are using many shared and static
> libraries, could this have something to do with it?

This shouldn't have any bearing on the problem at all. It's what's
going on in the kernel that's causing the process to block.

Quote:> We are also using a
> messaging middleware (DEC MessageQ) that polls on a communications port -
> another possibility?

Indeed. Maybe the process is waiting for some change of state on the
port - carrier coming up perhaps - and this either doesn't happen or
else the hardware and/or device driver fail to detect this properly.

1. A method to kill process that cannot be killed even with `kill -9'.

Try this method:
kill -9 non-killed-pid
/usr/proc/bin/prun non-killed-pid
/usr/proc/bin/pmap non-killed-pid
This method works perfectly with Solaris 6. Sometimes you can do it
without the "kill -9 non-killed-pid"

P.S. I don't know about other versions and about some hardware programs,
like tar.

Eugene S. Ilchenko, System Network Administrator
http://secinf.net/

2. FANTASTIC OPPORTUNITY - WORLDWIDE APPARTMENTS

3. kill -9 doesn't kill a process!

4. Free UNIX shell and Oracle 8 account

5. kill -9 doesn't kill a process ?

6. Jakarta-Tomcat in FreeBSD 4.2

7. kill -9 doesn't kill (continued)

8. questions for CSPLIT?

9. why doesn't "kill -9 -1" kill KDE control-panel

10. how to kill a process when kill -9 won't

11. Kill -9 won't kill a process

12. Can a process kill its child if it's killed -9

13. Can't Kill Zombie processes, even with kill -9 (pid)