I am porting an application that requires very fine
timing control to Solaris 2.0/2.1. I need to be able to schedule
my program at given time increments. The time increment can be
anywhere from 1 millisecond to 50 milliseconds. I gave played
with setitimer and SIGALRM , they do work fine except I can not
get better than 10 millisecond granularity. So I decided
to try something more hardware oriented and noticed that there are
2 timer/counters in the MMU chip.
1) Does the OS use either or both of these counters?
2) Are there other timers available on the Sparc platform?
3) Does the equation change if I use a VME based SparcEngine?
4) Does/Has anybody done/? any work in this area and give me some
5) Are there other calls in Solaris 2.0 and derivatives that would
allow me to what I am trying to do ????
Thanx for any and all answers/pointers/criticism/etc...