soft interrupt problems on a SPARC LX under Solaris 2.3

soft interrupt problems on a SPARC LX under Solaris 2.3

Post by Roman Kub » Sat, 31 Dec 1994 21:36:34

Trying to use soft interrupts to service highlevel interrupts on a SPARC LX
under Solaris 2.3 I have two problems:

1) As I have to handle two highlevel interrupts, I need also two different
soft interrupt handlers. But triggering one soft interrupt handler triggers
the other one too, no matter which soft interrupt identifier is passed in
ddi_trigger_softintr.

2) If DDI_SOFTINT_HIGH is used as preference in ddi_add_softintr the
soft interrupt handler goes berzerk. Even without any trigger call existing
in the whole source, the handler is called on and on. The system is busy
running the soft interrupt handler and has to be switched off.

Is there anyone familiar with such stuff?

Thanks in advance,
Roman

Siemens AG, TN EM C 13
Hofmannstrasse 51                   Phone:      +49 89 722 44266
81359 Muenchen                        Fax:      +49 89 722 25869

Post by Ingo Krau » Sun, 01 Jan 1995 09:54:11

>Trying to use soft interrupts to service highlevel interrupts on a SPARC LX
>under Solaris 2.3 I have two problems:
>1) As I have to handle two highlevel interrupts, I need also two different
>soft interrupt handlers. But triggering one soft interrupt handler triggers
>the other one too, no matter which soft interrupt identifier is passed in
>ddi_trigger_softintr.

You can do it with a single soft interrupt. Your data structure should be
used for both highlevel routines and be protected with the same mutex.
Leave a flag for the soft interrupt handler to know which interrupt to
serve.
If you want to use two different soft interrupts, each must examine the
flag and return DDI_INTR_UNCLAIMED if it is not its task.
As with hardware interrupts (of the same level), all software interrupts
are served from the OS one by one, until someone DDI_CLAIMs it.

Quote:>2) If DDI_SOFTINT_HIGH is used as preference in ddi_add_softintr the
>soft interrupt handler goes berzerk. Even without any trigger call existing
>in the whole source, the handler is called on and on. The system is busy
>running the soft interrupt handler and has to be switched off.

Are you sure your interrupt handler returns DDI_INTR_CLAIMED? Or, even
more likely, does your handler ALWAYS return  --"-- ?
Then I suppose another soft interrupt can not be served, and the corre-
lating hardware interrupt triggers it on and on and on and on and....

Ingo
--
Franken ist ein gesegnetes Land. (Goethe)

1. soft interrupt problems on a SPARC LX under Solaris 2.3

[ Article crossposted from comp.unix.internals ]
[ Author was Roman Kubli ]
[ Posted on 30 Dec 1994 12:36:34 GMT ]

[...]

2. KDE 2.2.1: kdebindings doesn't compile

3. Solaris 2.3 problem: zs0: unexpected soft interrupt

4. Unknown HZ value! (1908) Assume 1024.

5. SBus Interrupt L7 and SOFTINT.15 on a SPARCStaion LX under Solaris 2.3

6. How to reread exports ?

7. Comparing performance SunOS 4.1.3 vs. Solaris 2.3 on Sparc LX ???

8. Hostname question

9. Modem problems on LX w/ Solaris 2.3

10. HELP: Solaris 2.3 <---> Solaris 2.3 PPP link problems

11. HELP: Solaris 2.3 <---> Solaris 2.3 PPP link Problems

12. SYSINFO Panics Sun LX running Solaris 2.3

13. hp-ux 9.03 on a 715/33 slower than Solaris 2.3 on an LX ??