Transfering internal state with a core file

Transfering internal state with a core file

Post by Harsha » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:57:00

Hi all,

I need to start a new process on a 2nd machine which should have the
exact internal state of a process running on another machine. There is
one obvoius way of doing this. i.e Start the new process on the 2nd
machine, make a TCP connection to the old process, then old process
will transfer ALL its internal states / structures to the new process.
This includes all memory buffers, internal timers. However I don't
need to transfer the open file descriptors and socket connections. But
this is more difficult to write. The Process I want to transfer is a
very compilcated one, so trying to transfer its internal state is even
more difficult. I was thinking, if we can can get the running process
to generate a core, and if we can transfer the core file to the next
machine and start the process with the information from core file,
that will be great...

What are the possibilities of this? Please share Ur comments /
experiances on this.

Thanks in advance,
Harshana

PS: I'm using SUN 5.9 and possibly 480R machines

1. Transfering internal state with a core file

[...]

2. Linux on a Samsung VM8100 Notebook...help!!

3. saving program state with core files

4. select returning slow on RH 2.4.18-14 (RH 8.0) kernel.

5. transferring core files

6. Need a Suggestion. Any good NICs?

7. When a core file is not a core file

8. Cyrix MII processor

9. what does "-m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED" mean when used in iptables config file?

10. Identify file status (completely-transfered or transfer-in-progress) ??

11. keyboard internal state?

12. Get "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" but no core file found

13. Mysterious core file from "CORE"