Having trouble getting gethostbyname() to play ball

Having trouble getting gethostbyname() to play ball

Post by Andy Holy » Sun, 23 Sep 1990 03:27:22

Guys,
        I run a Gould (Sorry Encore :-( ) PowerNode which is isolated
from other tcp/ip hosts (JANET uses X25, even our local network uses
it). Recently I've been trying to get some software to go which falls
over apparently due to a call to gethostbyname() returning NULL. Fair
enough, so I wrote a little noddy program to do a gethostbyname() and
tell me what h_errno returned, so I've got an idea what's wrong.
Except h_errno is set to 0. That's not one of the legal error values.
gethostent() works fine, returns a perfectly respectable hostent* for
the one legal line in /etc/hosts, but the call to gethostbyname()
still folds. Any ideas? Which FM should I have R'ed?

Oh, yes I'm running UTX-32 V2.1.

-------------------------

Dept. of Medical Informatics and Computing,  ...!ukc!r-free!and
Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine,
Rowland Hill St. London NW3
(+44) 1 794 8673
Disclaimer: The above views were written by automatic writing by Elvis
from his hacienda on Mars....

1. HAving trouble getting xmms to play...

     I've played with heaps of distros and not had this trouble, but
trying to play a file though xmms - and RealPlayer, for that matter -
gets me an error msg asking to check whether my sound card is
configured properly or if some other app is using it.
     My sound card is *definately* ok...I an play CD's and running
sndconfig plays the test sounds perfectly...I thoght it was a
permission problem, but after setting user permissions on all the
related files I can htink of I still get nowhere.   MAybe it's a file
to do with the card itself...a pNp SB 16.
     Any advice welcome...

2. nsswitch.conf

3. having trouble getting sound working...

4. : help with /dev/eth0 ???

5. Having trouble getting inbound telnet to work properly (updated)

6. TCP: Knowing the end of a transmission?

7. Having trouble getting 3D apps to work

8. grep with "." in the string

9. Having trouble getting linux box on network

10. I'm having some trouble getting a PCMCIA card to work properly

11. Having trouble getting pgp to compile.

12. HELP: Having big trouble getting sendmail 8.8.4 going with AIX 4.1.4

13. Having trouble getting gethostbyaddr() working on Solaris?