number of processes on IRIX

Post by PEH LI SHIU » Tue, 22 Nov 1994 18:17:19

Subject: number of processes on IRIX
Newsgroups: comp.unix.internals
Hellooo..

   I need the current total number of processes running on my IRIX Release
4.0.5H System V machine. On other machines, I can read the value of symbol
"_nproc" or "nproc" from the kernel map /dev/kmem. However, in IRIX, there is
no such symbol in the kernel map /unix file. Learnt that another method on some
machines is to use the kvm_getprocs command to obtain this parameter.
Again in IRIX, there is no such command.

   Hope someone can help....am stuck!

Vicki

National University of Singapore

number of processes on IRIX

Post by Dave Ols » Sat, 26 Nov 1994 06:35:50

|    I need the current total number of processes running on my IRIX Release
| 4.0.5H System V machine. On other machines, I can read the value of symbol
| "_nproc" or "nproc" from the kernel map /dev/kmem. However, in IRIX, there is
| no such symbol in the kernel map /unix file. Learnt that another method on some
| machines is to use the kvm_getprocs command to obtain this parameter.
| Again in IRIX, there is no such command.

nproc is the number of proc structs on most systems, *NOT* the number
of currently running processes.  If you want running processes,
just use readdir() on /debug (/proc on 5.x).

If you want configured proc proc structs, look at v_proc in the
'v' struct from sys/var.h.  You have to read that out of /dev/kmem
after getting the address from an nlist() on /unix; at least, I don't
remember a simpler way.
--

The most beautiful things in the world are              |   Dave Olson
those from which all excess weight has been             |   Silicon Graphics

number of processes on IRIX

Post by Karlon We » Wed, 23 Nov 1994 13:49:04

: Newsgroups: comp.unix.internals
: Hellooo..

:    I need the current total number of processes running on my IRIX Release
: 4.0.5H System V machine. On other machines, I can read the value of symbol
: "_nproc" or "nproc" from the kernel map /dev/kmem. However, in IRIX, there is
: no such symbol in the kernel map /unix file. Learnt that another method on some
: machines is to use the kvm_getprocs command to obtain this parameter.
: Again in IRIX, there is no such command.

don't know myself about IRIX, but mayber you could run "nm" on the /vmunix, or
whatever the kernel image file is on IRIX and grep -i for proc or prc and see
if something useful comes out, like _nprc, _nproc_, __nprocs, or somesuch.