process size

Post by H. Sampath Kuma » Fri, 26 Apr 2002 03:08:44

If I have many functions, will the process size be bigger if I split
them into seperate files rather than keep them in the same file.

Thanks,
Sampath.

process size

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 26 Apr 2002 03:57:48

Quote:>If I have many functions, will the process size be bigger if I split
>them into seperate files rather than keep them in the same file.

Not enough to matter.

--

Genuity, Woburn, MA

process size

Post by Douglas Siebe » Fri, 26 Apr 2002 04:23:37

Quote:>If I have many functions, will the process size be bigger if I split
>them into seperate files rather than keep them in the same file.

If your compiler does interprocedural optimizations (most modern ones do)
and you have this turned on there will be little or no difference in
process size.  Even without that there probably won't be all much of a
difference.  It'd only affect code size, not data, and data is the biggie
for most programs.  If you had something with very large code size, your
compiler may not be capable of handling it as a single file.  I doubt
most compiler vendors test (or care about bug reports against) million
line source files...

--

A good friend will help you move, a true friend will help you move a body.

process size

Post by p.. » Fri, 26 Apr 2002 04:30:16

Quote:> If I have many functions, will the process size be bigger if I split
> them into seperate files rather than keep them in the same file.

No.

In almost all programs the executable code is less then a megabyte,
but the data could be significantly more. ( this _is_ a generalisztion,
but i have difficulties remembering any code > 3Mbyte)

Where the linker will get it's object modules will not affect
the resulting image size. Creating lots of small source-files
and managing them with make will however give you more control
over your resources ( you don't have to compile everything each time
you make a small change)

So, the datasize should generally be your concern.

Quote:> Thanks,

--
Peter H?kanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)

1. xterm: huge process size and resident set size

Solaris 9 FCS with Recommended patches through approx. October 2002;
CDE.

What causes an xterm to hang for on the order of a minute when I
resize it? The system is banging noisily on the disk the whole time. I
have approx. 720 MB of free swap out of a GB, 320 MB RAM, and / is
less than 50% full. This is an Ultra 10/ 300 MHz, but I have seen
similar behavior on many other systems and at other installations, so
I'm convinced that it's either an xterm or a Solaris issue.

The scroll-back log is not even that large (although I always start my
xterms with "-sl 10000" (ten thousand lines max scrollback).

I see that the xterm process size is 145M and RSS is 134M, so that
seems to be the immediate cause of the performance issue. The question
then becomes, what could cause those numbers to be so large?, because
most of my other xterms have sizes around 20MB and RSSs of around 3MB.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--Bruce

2. Want: Web Host with NS Merchant System

3. MAXIMUM PROCESS SIZE under SCO UNIX ODT 1.1 and ANY OTHER 386 UNIX??

4. Yggdrasil Fall 94': CD-ROM problems!

5. Process Size from the Kernel in SunOs 4.1.2

6. Need help with XF86Config. - PS/2 9577 XGA-2 8513

7. real process sizes

8. marketing

9. Measuring process size.

10. 5.6 Mb process size for TeX ????