Network Loopback Interface

Post by samb.. » Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

A network loopback interface has an ioctl command in Digital
Unix that allows the interface to be enabled or disabled when
an application needs it. Which type of application can make
use of such an ioctl command?

- Sambhav

--
/*************************************************************
 * Regional Engineering College, Warangal, India, celebrates *

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Barry Margoli » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>A network loopback interface has an ioctl command in Digital
>Unix that allows the interface to be enabled or disabled when
>an application needs it. Which type of application can make
>use of such an ioctl command?

Operations like this aren't usually used by ordinary applications.  They're
intended for administrative utilities like ifconfig.

1. network loopback interface

Hi,

The network ioctl interface performs tasks that have nothing
to do with data packet transmission and reception. I am trying
to figure out if there is an ioctl command in 4.4BSD that lets
a network interface loopback function be enabled or disabled,
when an application requests it? Will such a function be needed?

Regards
Srikanth

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. RH 7.0 : update of SSL : depedency problem

3. Can a static route substitute for a network loopback interface?

4. Just about to buy, need clarification

5. Configuring physical network interfaces as loopback

6. problem running kmp3!

7. How to view network, loopback packets in network?

8. time-lag when submitting a nameserver-query

9. network interface names ethX and renaming interfaces

10. SIOCGIFFLAGS fails loopback interface

11. "Bandwidth" of loopback interface?

12. Snoop - loopback interface?

13. volatile loopback interface