What does one mean by Unix Internals?

Post by Solaris G » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:50:43

Hi Guys,

I am a novice on Unix. My work mostly revolves around User level. But
now I am looking for a job change. Most of the employers are looking
for Unix Internals part but nobody mentions what exactly should one
read so that one can update one's resume specifying that one knows
unix internals.

So please address this question in two parts:-

1) What exactly are unix internals??
2) Suggest some online tutorial (some pdfs etc.) and a book that will
cover the above part in details.

I know this kinda dumb question to you guys but then there always has
to be some beginning.

Thanks and regards,
A Novice

Post by Jeff » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 19:47:54

> Hi Guys,

> I am a novice on Unix. My work mostly revolves around User level. But
> now I am looking for a job change. Most of the employers are looking
> for Unix Internals part but nobody mentions what exactly should one
> read so that one can update one's resume specifying that one knows
> unix internals.

> So please address this question in two parts:-

> 1) What exactly are unix internals??
> 2) Suggest some online tutorial (some pdfs etc.) and a book that will
> cover the above part in details.

> I know this kinda dumb question to you guys but then there always has
> to be some beginning.

> Thanks and regards,
> A Novice

Have you tried searching for "UNIX internals" using google or similar?
(Hint: you'll find the information you need doing this :-))

-jeff

Post by Fritz » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 05:50:43

> what exactly should one
> read so that one can update one's resume specifying that one knows
> unix internals.

One could pad the resume, but one will not learn about Unix internals by
just reading a book.

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha.
                4=a  0=o  3=e  +=t

Post by Nicholas Bachman » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:37:35

>> Hi Guys,

>> I am a novice on Unix. My work mostly revolves around User level. But
>> now I am looking for a job change. Most of the employers are looking
>> for Unix Internals part but nobody mentions what exactly should one
>> read so that one can update one's resume specifying that one knows
>> unix internals.

>> So please address this question in two parts:-

>> 1) What exactly are unix internals??
>> 2) Suggest some online tutorial (some pdfs etc.) and a book that will
>> cover the above part in details.

>> I know this kinda dumb question to you guys but then there always has
>> to be some beginning.

>> Thanks and regards,
>> A Novice

> Have you tried searching for "UNIX internals" using google or similar?
> (Hint: you'll find the information you need doing this :-))

Or even look at postings from this group on http://groups.google.com
especially if you were looking for somebody to 'recommend a book'.

--
+   Regards,                                      +
+   Nick                                          +

What does one mean by Unix Internals?

Post by Villy Kru » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:32:59

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:50:43 +0000 (UTC),

>> what exactly should one
>> read so that one can update one's resume specifying that one knows
>> unix internals.

>One could pad the resume, but one will not learn about Unix internals by
>just reading a book.

Besides, I doubt Unix internals knowlege is realy required, as nost unix
internals source are off limits anyway, except from *BSD or linux sources.
Programming skills for unix systems seems much more useful.

Then again, the employers might have a totally different idea, or
perhaps no idea at all, what Unix internals are.

Villy

What does one mean by Unix Internals?

Post by Lyndon Nerenber » Sun, 18 May 2003 06:08:32

    Villy> Besides, I doubt Unix internals knowlege is realy required,
    Villy> as nost unix internals source are off limits anyway, except
    Villy> from *BSD or linux sources.

Perhaps not. Solaris 8 source is (or at least, was recently) available
to individuals under a reasonable NDA-style source license. (I have a
(personal) source license for it dating back not more than two or
three years).

--lyndon

1. Q: What does one mean by UNIX (OS) internals ?

        Hello people!

        Each time I read about job positions, I frequently come across
        statements such as
        "Two years experience required in Unix internals"

        or "... excellent experience required in Windows NT internals"

        Can anyone of you enlighten me about what is
        "UNIX (OS) internals"

        I have a vague idea about this. I'd like to comfirm it finally.

        -Milind Changire
         INDIA

2. Linux on PDP??

3. Put the internals back in comp.unix.internals!

4. Another ATI Mach64 and Totally Black X solution

5. EXCHANGING OPTICAL DISKS : DOS to UNIX / UNIX to DOS

6. RH8.0:stopping autofs freezes machine

7. Websites for unix internals & unix programming

8. Action function for X

9. Looking for Unix/internals ,Unix Admin Programmers

10. I want to install Sco Unix 3.2V4.2 and dos 6.2 at one pc

11. Dos/os2/Linux and 2 hd's one 850, and one 425

12. If you need AIX work done, this company is one of the better ones.

13. Communications - Unix to Unix vs Unix to DOS