High speed disk i/o

Post by Eric Peters » Sun, 24 Jan 1993 05:53:43

        I need to do fast i/o (especially writes) to disk from/to a network
        peripheral.  What is the best way to do this?  (System=ISC/Sunsoft
        System V.3).  For performance reasons I think I want to do this in a
        driver, but I don't know how to get to the disk "legally".  The access
        to the network devices is (depending on device) via DMA or shared (low)
        memory.

        It doesn't really matter if the data on disk isn't accessible via the
        filesystem, but it wouldn't hurt.  I assume I don't really want to go
        through the buffer cache (again for performance reasons) but I could be
        wrong.

        Killing performance for the system users is not a big problem, but I
        don't want to lose interrupts, etc.

Thanks for any hints,
Eric

--

1. Tuning Linux for high-speed disk subsystems

Eh, we do 60-70 MB/s reads and 110-120 MB/s writes on our RAIDs... from
linux.

I'd say you should get rid of your compaq raid controller and use a
regular SCSI-controller - 66Mhz 64 bit. (e.g. an adaptec)

--
Ragnar Kj?rstad
Big Storage

2. installing wu ftp server

3. cdrecord: can't write to high-speed CD-RW disk

4. Garbage in Apache Log?

5. x86 and High Speed Disk IO

6. tip on ventel modems under 4.2bsd

7. high disk latency on Volume Manager disks

8. Problems with pcmcia "wireless".

9. Another slow disk permormance, very *low* disk read speed

10. Does Norton Speed Disk Utility's defragmentation mess up the linux hard disk partition?

11. Speed..Speed..Speed

12. GEEK parallel port io and use of microsequences (for high speed) ???

13. High speed printers