How to determine if tty device is a serial device

How to determine if tty device is a serial device

Post by Sean Sheridan Coleman X56 » Mon, 28 Jan 1991 17:39:04

How can my c program determine if the tty device that it is
told to use to collect data is a serial device and not a
network device like ttyp0.

Sean Coleman

Boulder, CO

1. how does the device driver determines its device number?

Hi,

My NIC driver is 3c59x.o. I was wondering when the module is loaded,
how does it know it should be called eth0 instead of eth1? Is it
because there is an alias called "eth0" pointing to it or it just
grabs the first unoccupied eth number? Is it decided by the kernel
or by the device driver?

A related question: is /dev/sd5 the SCSI disk with SCSI ID 5?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. sendmail question

3. determining if data is available on serial device in Linux

4. Upgrading of Openssh

5. Connecting a PC to serial tty device

6. Logitech BusMouse IRQs

7. need device: devices.pci.b7100010:devices.pci.b7100092

8. FA310TX with linux....making it work

9. character device, block device , raw device?

10. connect SW to s pseudo UART device instead of real serial device

11. Where do I find devices.pci.serial device package?

12. free tty devices over network, network tty config

13. Getting the real tty device name (/dev/tty not good enough)