Unexplained slowdowns RISC Unix

Post by Andries Burge » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi All,

I am currently trying to understand what is happening on a rather large UNIX
installation runing Oracle.

in short:
At about 8:00am to 8:30am the system starts to use up to 99% system time. 0%
user time and 0% wait for I/O.  the same happens at around 4:00pm to 4:30pm.

Rebooting the system seems to cure it,  only to have the problem re-occur
later in the day.  There seems to be no CPU time used by any process.  The
sar reports only the system time being 99%.

Can someone please give me an idea of were to go and look?  A program to run
or rm -r /* ;) - Anything please

Your cooperation is greatly appreciated....

You can post your answers in this news group or e-mail directly to

Thanks again!

Post by Hans-Dieter Wunderlic » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hi All,

> I am currently trying to understand what is happening on a rather large UNIX
> installation runing Oracle.

> in short:
> At about 8:00am to 8:30am the system starts to use up to 99% system time. 0%
> user time and 0% wait for I/O.  the same happens at around 4:00pm to 4:30pm.

> Rebooting the system seems to cure it,  only to have the problem re-occur
> later in the day.  There seems to be no CPU time used by any process.  The
> sar reports only the system time being 99%.

> Can someone please give me an idea of were to go and look?  A program to run
> or rm -r /* ;) - Anything please

> Your cooperation is greatly appreciated....

> You can post your answers in this news group or e-mail directly to

> Thanks again!

A complete sar-listing of the critical period (1 min) would be very
useful!
HDW
--
In order to mail me, remove 'nospam' from the address.

1. Unexplained slowdown in MPI

Hello.

I am new to parallel programming and I am experiencing some unexpected
slowdown in developing  my own parallel programs.  Programs run very fast
(including all of the messaging) but seem to stall for 5-6 seconds on the
exit call to end the program.  Hence, a program which should take 2-3 second
to run now takes almost 10.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Robbie

2. RedHat 5.0, PCMCIA, Compaq LTE 5250, Docking Station

3. RISC/6000 or UNIX Standards

4. Join Beta Test...Free Security Scanner (from WWDSI)

5. FS $350: HP 9000 712/80 HP/UX (9.03) UNIX RISC Workstation 1.44 flop/32m/SCSI

6. FS: BLOWOUT: $3+ shipping. Harley Hahn's "Open Computing Unix Unbound" Only 1 case left

7. RISC solutions-unix integration

8. Undefined reference to 'atexit'

9. HELP CISC vs. RISC / UNIX vs. DOS

10. unix security on aix systems using risc 6000

11. UNIX for NEC RISC Server???

12. FS $350: HP 9000 712/80 HP/UX (9.03) UNIX RISC Workstation 1.44 flop/32m/SCSI

13. RISC Solutions/Unix Integration