Core Dump - Bus Error

Post by Loh Kir Che » Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Dear World,

I have been experiencing core dump - bus error. I know core dump - bus
error means trying to access an invalid or impossible address.

I am running some GUI (Oracle 7.1.4 Forms 4.0.13.20.0 on a SGI
host (Onyx) and front end PCs are using eXceed 5 as a terminal emulation).
The problem is that I got the error "bus error - core dump" only when I am
using eXceed but when I try to run the Oracle software from the SGI
directly, the problem would not occur.

On one hand I know core dumps are UNIX problem, but on the other hand,
why does the core dump only happens when I access via PC emulation ?  I
called Oracle and they claimed it is eXceed's bug, when I call eXceed,
they claim it is a UNIX bug and when I call SGI, they say it is either
Oracle or eXceed bug. That has been stagnant for almost 9 months now !

May I know any good tool that I can isolate the problem and perhaps
better able to interpret the content of a core file ? I use dbx and
strings but both gives me meaningless information. Any suggestion(s) on
how I should proceed is appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Rgds Kir Chern, Loh
(Inst Of Molecular And Cell
Biology National University Of Singapore

Core Dump - Bus Error

Post by Tim Goodw » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>May I know any good tool that I can isolate the problem

Which program dumps core?  On some systems, `file core' will tell
you; on others you may need to peer at the output of `strings core'
or `od -s core'.

The vendor of that program is the one that you need to harass...

Tim.
--
Tim Goodwin   | "After all, what did Brunel, Watt, Boulton and
Unipalm PIPEX | Telford do that was complex?  I could have built

1. Core Dump - Bus Error

[...]

2. Aliasing

3. FreeBSD Perl Core Dump (bus error)

4. All-in-one Ethernet card not quite an NE2000?

5. Core Dump - Bus Error

6. Mouse Hopping Away help?

7. NCSA htppd 1.5 gives Bus Error (core dumped) !!

8. Change of group for the user?

9. Bus error (core dumped) !please help!

10. Bus error - core dump

11. java in netscape = bus error core dump

12. (Bus Error) Core Dumped?

13. bus error core dump