Question about plan 9

Post by Guy Harr » Fri, 11 Feb 1994 08:03:54

Quote:>Thanks!  I'm trying to fix Linux's /proc/<pid>/fd/n and /proc/self/fd/n
>to be consistent with Plan 9, and I want to know what that should be.

Why not fix them to be consistent with various flavors of UNIX, instead,
as SVR4's "/dev/fd/n", like Research V9's "/dev/fd/n", does do a "dup()"
(i.e., it doesn't just re-open the same file that's open on FD "n", it
really does a "dup()", courtesy of a bit of a back-door hack).

If Plan 9 does something different, well, "it's magnificient, but it's
not UNIX" (Plan 9, after all, never claimed to *be* UNIX, as far as I
know), and Linux is, I think, supposed to be UNIX-flavored....

1. Beginner Question "plan:..."

        I have a real beginners question.  When I finger someone they have this
section that says, "Plan- etc. etc.etc."
        How do I make one of those?
        Please go step by step as I am just learning this system.
        Thank you.

        -Lou

2. lpd dying...

3. Role of Plans and Planning in Program Development

4. TKMIXER COMPILING PROBLEMS

5. Not the Same Old .Plan File Question

6. Pnews

7. question on my .plan

8. DAT tape strangeness

9. Installing inn: Planning stage questions..?

10. Semi-Newbie question- Help on constructing a .plan file

11. QUESTION!! Network Capacity Planning

12. RAID configuration plan - couple questions

13. QUESTION: Is FAT32 support planned for soon?