Printing

Post by azama » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:48:20

Our  system  administrator  has  set  up  a  print  queue  on a  HP-Unix
server.
When  I  print,   it   prints   every  line  right  justified  by  some
spaces and
consequently,  a  large  file  does not  get  printed.

Example of  Print

abcdefg
       xxxxxxxxx
            yyyyyyyyyyyy
                             zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

My  administrator   says  it  is  not  the  print  queue  that's
responsible  for  this,
it's  the  computer but  I  think  it  is  something  to  do  with  the
queue.

Any  help  on  this  topic  will  be  greatly  appreaciated.

Thanks

Printing

Post by Edward E. Elze » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 22:36:49

> My  administrator   says  it  is  not  the  print  queue  that's
> responsible  for  this,
> it's  the  computer but I think it is something to do with  the
> queue.

Actually, you are both right, in a certain sense.

The problem has to do with line terminations.  UNIX text files have
lines terminated with line-feed characters.  The printer is expecting
a line-feed, carriage-return combination.  My guess (you didn't say)
is that the printer is an HP LaserJet of some sort.

done by the printer, usually with a configuration parameter or switch
setting.  Early LaserJets could be configured properly with a soft-
ware setting, but not permanently.  Later models can be configured
through the front panel menu's to perform this translation.

The admin is right in that the UNIX file does not contain everything
the printer needs to properly print the job.  With only line-feed
characters the line advances, but the print never restarts at the
left margin, so it "stair steps" down the page and quickly off of the
right margin.

The admin is wrong in that a properly configured queue for the printer
would ensure that the printer is configured (through sending the
proper "escape sequence") for printing UNIX text files.

--
Edward E. Elzey
Seay Systems Inc

1. HELP PRINTING -- HELP PRINTING -- HELP PRINTING

Hey,

I tried to install my HP deskjet 520 under Linux since a long time
but I always have a lot of problems

The last one is that when i start a job linux can't start the daemon
printer but i have followed the HOWTO for the permissions

I search the EXACTLY FILES and the GOODS PERMISSIONS that i have to
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
use and if possible a GOOD FILTER for the HP DESKJET 520 printer
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^^^^^^
(filter to solve the staircase effect )

PLEASE HELP ME -- HELP ME

I hope a lot of GOOD responses via mail only

THANKS A LOT FOR ALL
--------------------

======= http://dico.unice.fr/~plazis    ===========

2. Question about info printing

3. Printing Printing Printing

4. make menuconfig doesn't have the pretty interface anymore

5. Print, Print, Print.....

6. How do I make routes persistent?

7. Linux Printing to a Linksys Pocket Print Server

8. Mail under Linux via SLIP?

9. What TCP port is used for AIX printing to print server via spooler?

10. SunOS 5.2 Print Client and BSD Print Server

11. Help required for printing through Barricade print server.

12. Print Credit Network Printing

13. problem with print to Netware print queue