switching to /dev/console

Post by od » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 01:48:17

I saw one of your posts on google and I thought I could mail you
directly.
I'm writing a program in Solaris.
I need some C or C++ code that will enable me to  switch a user from
a terminal to graphical mode /dev/console (CDE) and vice versa.
The effect is identical to switching between various terminals in
Linux using ctrl+alt+Fx

Any help, suggestions ?
Odi

switching to /dev/console

Post by Richard L. Hamilt » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 21:15:57

Quote:> I saw one of your posts on google and I thought I could mail you
> directly.
> I'm writing a program in Solaris.
> I need some C or C++ code that will enable me to  switch a user from
> a terminal to graphical mode /dev/console (CDE) and vice versa.
> The effect is identical to switching between various terminals in
> Linux using ctrl+alt+Fx

Multiple console support used to be present (last in Solaris 7, I think),
on x86 only, but has been dropped.

You need to look again to see if there isn't some alternative that will
do the job for you.  It's not as if raw character console mode on a
framebuffer is capable of any of the fancier stuff on Solaris that it
is on Linux.

--

1. switching to /dev/console

I'm writing a program in Solaris.
I need some C or C++ code that will enable me to  switch a user from
a terminal to graphical mode /dev/console (CDE) and vice versa.
The effect is identical to switching between various terminals in
Linux using ctrl+alt+Fx

Any help, suggestions ?

2. Talking to floppy and hard drive controllers under Linux

3. Signal reference need

4. >/dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog </dev/console

5. ProFTPd: Fatal: Socket operation on non-socket

6. FixKbd & LILO

7. switching from vga console to svga console

8. /dev/console output to /dev/tty0

9. Difference between /dev/console and /dev/sysmsg

10. No /dev/console in /dev

11. Help with console (/dev/console) output redirection