How do I write to the terminal of another process at another terminal?

How do I write to the terminal of another process at another terminal?

Post by Joe » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:10:22

Greetings:

I have written the ttyname to a file along with the pid.

I have another process at another terminal in the network that can read
the above file.

I want the other process to write to the first process terminal
preferably using the write(2) function.

Can anyone offer help, please?

If you need more info, please ask.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

How do I write to the terminal of another process at another terminal?

Post by Andrew Gabri » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 22:26:21

Quote:> Greetings:

> I have written the ttyname to a file along with the pid.

> I have another process at another terminal in the network that can read
> the above file.

> I want the other process to write to the first process terminal
> preferably using the write(2) function.

Where do you want the data that you wrote to go?

a)  display on the terminal

b)  into the program running on that terminal, as though it had been
    entered at the terminal.

--
Andrew Gabriel

How do I write to the terminal of another process at another terminal?

Post by Joe » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 05:36:00

Andrew:

  a)  display on the terminal

I want process #2 to find the ttyname of process #1 by reading the file
and display it on the terminal of process #1.

Process #1 has already written it's ttyname to this file.

Thanks.

Joe

Post by Lew Pitche » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 09:54:43

> Greetings:

> I have written the ttyname to a file along with the pid.

> I have another process at another terminal in the network that can read
> the above file.

> I want the other process to write to the first process terminal
> preferably using the write(2) function.

> Can anyone offer help, please?

Assuming the target terminal is at least o+w (writable by 'other'), then
just open() and write() to the device. Take a look at the source for
write(1) or talk(1) or wall(1) for details.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training
Registered Linux User #112576

1. How do I write to the terminal of another process at another terminal?

Greetings:

I have written the ttyname to a file along with the pid.

I have another process at another terminal in the network that can read
the above file.

I want the other process to write to the first process terminal
preferably using the write(2) function.

Can anyone offer help, please?

If you need more info, please ask.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

2. IPSec

3. bitkeeper cygwin messed up cygwin terminal setting for tcsh, lynx: dumb terminal?

4. Disabling "login:" banner.

5. Terminal Emulators/ Virtual Terminals

6. modeDB entry: TTX or Aamazing

7. I have problems with digiboards setup for terminal use with dec (xon/xoff) terminals

8. 2 newbie questions (Corel/KDM/Shell Scripts)

9. Terminals/terminal server

10. SCO ANSI terminal vs. regular ANSI terminal

11. Terminal hangs when connecting from terminal server

12. Remote X terminal... won't use the terminals hardware

13. XFree86 4.01: blank lines in terminal and blank terminal???