Need help with Alpha & Linux installation...

Need help with Alpha & Linux installation...

Post by Auke Schrijne » Mon, 06 Aug 2001 01:35:08

Hi there,

I need some help with the installation of Linux on an Alpha machine. (Yes,
i'm kinda newbie....)
A friend gave me a Digital multia Alpha VX40b and i want to do something
with it, but i don't know where to start.
I think there's no OS installed and i want to get Linux on it. (I just
d/l-ed the Redhat 7.1 (Alpha) iso's)
The machine doesn't have a cd-rom drive, but it has a fdd, network adapter &
a hd....

Can anybody help me?

Thanks a lot!

Auke Schrijnen

Need help with Alpha & Linux installation...

Post by hhfra.. » Mon, 06 Aug 2001 07:21:04

Auke,

You have a veteran machine which need lot of attention and patience.
Before you start-off: Try-Error-Correct is what you must like in the
first place...;-)
This machine has speed which is comparable with say Intel P75.
Do not expect X-windows to run more than 640x480.
It runs nice and hot.
http://www.alphalinux.org/doc

Well...
Does it start anyway, with srm or arc console? Go for arc first if
newbie
Is the Lithium battery CR2450 OK?
Can you attach to a network and have a PC with cdrom. Then try ftp
install.

Harm.

> Hi there,

> I need some help with the installation of Linux on an Alpha machine. (Yes,
> i'm kinda newbie....)
> A friend gave me a Digital multia Alpha VX40b and i want to do something
> with it, but i don't know where to start.
> I think there's no OS installed and i want to get Linux on it. (I just
> d/l-ed the Redhat 7.1 (Alpha) iso's)
> The machine doesn't have a cd-rom drive, but it has a fdd, network adapter &
> a hd....

> Can anybody help me?

> Thanks a lot!

> Auke Schrijnen

1. Alpha PC164 board linux installation - Need Help Please

Hi,

I had heard about Alpha machines from everyone and I was fortunate to get
one for myself. The machine has no operating system loaded on it. When I
boot up, there is MILO I believe and I have tried to boot it off the CDROM
so that I can install Linux on it, but with no success.

How do I go about installing RH7 alpha on this....

I need details of the steps involved.

I would really appreciate anyone who can help me with this

Thanks

Prad

2. 26145 Mining the Web :Searches with Kriging, Inverse Distance Weighting, eigenVectors and Cross-Pollination 26145

3. Alpha 166 && Linux Please Help

4. revving up the kshell

5. UNIX tru 64 version 5a installation problem on alpha-need help!

6. Probleme mit win98client

7. another newbie needs help with FIPS & Linux installation

8. Xfree86-MetroX Questions...

9. Alpha 166 && Linux Please Help!

10. installation & info needed (Motorola PPC & LINUX)

11. !!!FREE WEB Server & Linux Installation Help & Assistance!!!

12. Alpha & LINUX SCSI questions. Urgent answers needed.

13. Digital Alpha & IDE/EIDE Hard drive installation