1. Dead AlphaStation 200 4/100 or memory troubles
Looks like I've got a dead AlphaStation 200 4/100, but before I give up on
it, I need some troubleshooting advice.
The unit was purchased today and was without RAM and HD. It has the
standard floppy, CDROM and sound card. The CPU is present. Unit has the
DEC video card. The little network card is missing. The HD bracket is
missing. It has likely been stripped for parts.
I have added 64MB RAM, known good and borrowed from another Alpha
system. For now, there is no HD. A PCXAL keyboard, mouse and monitor
have been connected.
This motherboard has 8 SIMM sockets instead of the 6 I would expect to
find in an AS200. Other jumper and socket positions also do not match my
other AS200 4/166 or documentation diagrams. Manufacture date is May
Without RAM installed, or with RAM improperly installed when powered up,
the beep code 1-3-3 is sounded indicating that 2MB RAM could not be
found. LEDs show xxxx xxox where x=on and o=off. From this I presume
that SROM is present to run the memory tests. No video output is present.
Failure symptoms are as follows:
With 64MB RAM properly installed, there is no beep code sounded on
power-up and there is no output to video. The LEDs continually cycle
through the following three indications without stopping, where x=on and
Attempts to load a failsafe loader floppy using jumper J2 fail with no
floppy drive activity. LED indicators cycle as above. No post code
beeps. Apparently DROM is never loaded.
Does anyone recognize this failure? What's up with the 8 sockets instead
of 6? I appreciate any advice. Thanks.
2. CMOS clock advances during bootup
3. Alpha Station 200/4 100 Sound + Net
4. Is it possible to mirror disks without physically removing disk the incompletely mirrored disk
5. Installing RH 7.0 on Alphastation 200 Question
6. Freesco and two printers
7. AlphaStation 200 4/233 Memory question?
8. Problem with new and delete in shared object (dynamic link library) files.
9. AlphaStation 200 Questions: RH5, XF86, graphics card, etc.
10. Netra T1 100 - T1 200 - 120 Differences
11. AlphaStation 200 hangs
12. Console VGA setting on a AlphaStation 200 4/233
13. AlphaBIOS on Alphastation 200 4/166