Enhanced real time clock and Alpha UP2000 SMP

Enhanced real time clock and Alpha UP2000 SMP

Post by G. Hugh Son » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I realized that if I choose "Enhanced real time clock support" during
xconfig, the second CPU is not actually utilized on Alpha UP2000 SMP
according to xosview.

Has anyone observed this on other SMP motherboards?

I checked this with 2.2.14 and 2.2.15pre17.  It must be a bug in
drivers/char/rtc.c in the kernel.

Without the real time clock support, I am now using "rdate -s <clock
system>" to correct the year 2020 problem.    What function does
"enhanced real time clock support" provide other than true clock
of the system without the help of rdate?

Regards,

--
G. Hugh Song

ghsong
at
kjist
dot
ac
dot
kr

1. enhanced real time clock support; how to say 'y'

In the kernel config for 2.4.2 I have said 'y' to symmetric
multiprocessor support since I have two processors.  The 'Help' button
says to also say yes to enhanced real time clock support.  How do I
find/do this with 'make xconfig'.  I can't find the setting.

When I try to boot the kernel built as it is (ie no enhanced clock
support), the boot freezes very early on (just after the CPU
detection) on the line 'activating NMI watchdog' and never recovers.
I don't know if this is related to the clock feature or is another
problem.

Thanks,
John Hunter

2. cdrecord woes

3. [RESEND] Don't ask about "Enhanced Real Time Clock Support" on some archs

4. Linux semaphores

5. Don't ask about "Enhanced Real Time Clock Support" on some archs

6. 2.3 : kde keyboard layout

7. hangs with real time clock enabled on SMP system (Mandrake 6.0)

8. Shared memory problems on Sun

9. Real-Time Clock

10. Real time clock delay problem

11. UDB and Real Time Clock