Help with RedHat 6.1 on Alpha Multia please

Help with RedHat 6.1 on Alpha Multia please

Post by Neal Pollac » Fri, 07 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi All,

I'm a computer conusltant with several years of experience and diverse
knowledge. I've worked with DOS, OS/2, Win 3.0, 3.1, 95, 98, and NT. I'm
a newbie with Linux. I'm into my 10th week in a 16 week Linux course at
a local community college and am just about holding my own. I've set up
an Intel box to dual boot Win98 and RedHat 6.1 using Partition Magic and
Boot Magic. I've managed to configure my dialup, soundcard and printer.
Now I want to install the Alpha version on my Multia to dual boot with
the already installed NT Server 4.0 SP-3. I've been reading the manuals,
the various sites on the 'net and several of the newsgroups, but I'm not
getting it.
My sticking point is how to create, and then what to do with the images.
I have a "udb-noname" system with 64Mb RAM. I have 3 SCSI hard drives
(2-1Gb, 1-2Gb) in an external box. I'm using one of the 1Gb drives for
NT, saving another for data, and would like to use the 2Gb for Linux. I
don't have any problem working with the ARC console or setting up the
system.
I have located: ./milo/arc/linload.exe, /images/generic.img, ramdisk.img
and /milo/images/udb-noname.gz I gunzipped udb-noname.gz to get
udb-noname. My understanding is that I have to build a MILO disk, a boot
disk and a ramdisk and put linload.exe someplace. The instructions I
have are:

To build MILO, change your working directory to the MILO source
directory and invoke 'make' with:
        $       make KSRC=/usr/src/linux config

I don't see where it's finding the MILO image (udb-noname) to do this or
am I barking up the wrong tree here? What image will this create and
where? Once I locate it, do I then copy it to the floppy?
To create the boot disk, I ran: 'dd if=generic.img of=/dev/fd0 bs 1440k'
When I checked the floppy, nothing was written to it.

It took me the better part of an afternoon to configure my printer using
all the resource material I had. I finally found a post in this group
stating that all I had to do was add 'alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc'
to /etc/conf.modules. Took about 3 minutes. I'm hoping this works out in
a similiar manner. I don't mind doing the reading, research and
experimenting, but I'd like the result to be more than several days of
running around in a circle pulling my hair and mumbling things like
"Maybe Bill Gates isn't such a bad guy after all."
I still have to set up NFS and then Samba so all the computers on my
home LAN can communicate with each other and share resources. Once
that's done, I intend to run the LAN using Linux as the server OS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Neal

--
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Neal Pollack                           PressPlay Computer Consultants

Carbondale, CO, USA

"Reality has limits; stupidity, none." -Napoleon Bonaparte

Help with RedHat 6.1 on Alpha Multia please

Post by Ryan C. Pric » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

if you've already got (and want to keep) NT, then it's a whole lot
easier.

All you need to do is put milo(udb-noname), linload.exe and a kernel
(generic.gz, not .img) in the root directory of your 'system'
partition (the
FAT partition that currently contains your osloader).

Don't bother trying to build milo, you're making unnecessary work for
yourself (I know, been there, done that, now cured).

Then make your 'root' floppy (ramdisk.img), and leave it in the drive.

Then from the ARC console, create a new boot entry for your milo,
using the instructions on your RedHat CD (they're there somewhere).
I'm not sure off the top of my head, but basically copy your existing
NT
entry, then change the <blah>\osloader entry to \linload.exe, then
change the osloadfilename to milo, and the directory to \.

Then boot your milo. From there you can boot the floppy root image,
which should then take you through the install process. Now here
I get stuck, because it's been soooo long since I did it, but I'm sure
the online help in milo will sort you out.

Unfortunately, my Multia is my Internet connection, so booting it is
not practical right now for me to check.

I'm sure someone else will correct the small errors that are almost
certainly present here, since it's all from memory.

regards,
/Ryan

Also check out http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/computers/udb.html .

Quote:> Hi All,