Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Post by Compaq C/C++ Tea » Sat, 11 Sep 1999 04:00:00

In case you have not already seen one of the many unofficial
announcements, the Compaq C compiler for Linux Alpha systems
is now available (along with Fortran) for public Beta test.

Please see

  http://www.unix.digital.com/linux/software.htm

for details and immediate download of the software, subject
to accepting an online beta test license agreement.

Briefly, the compiler provides the same state-of-the-art optimization
technology for the Alpha processor as offered by the very latest
Compaq compilers on Compaq's proprietary Alpha platforms, and offers
some amount of gcc compatibility in both language features and command
line processing.

The software is only available in rpm format, and has primarily been
tested under the Red Hat 5.2 distribution.  Limited testing under Red
Hat 6.0, and no testing yet under other distributions.  The limited
testing only reflects what we've done so far, and not at all an
intended limitation.

 -The Compaq C/C++ Team

--
Please do not reply to this message, as your reply will be lost.

For technical support and bug reports, please see:
 http://www.iol.unh.edu/linux/C/

For comments and inquiries about the beta test, please see:
 http://www.unix.digital.com/linux/compaq_c/feedback.htm

Post by Jordan Kat » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> In case you have not already seen one of the many unofficial
> announcements, the Compaq C compiler for Linux Alpha systems
> is now available (along with Fortran) for public Beta test.

> Please see

>   http://www.unix.digital.com/linux/software.htm

> for details and immediate download of the software, subject
> to accepting an online beta test license agreement.

> Briefly, the compiler provides the same state-of-the-art optimization
> technology for the Alpha processor as offered by the very latest
> Compaq compilers on Compaq's proprietary Alpha platforms, and offers
> some amount of gcc compatibility in both language features and command
> line processing.

> The software is only available in rpm format, and has primarily been
> tested under the Red Hat 5.2 distribution.  Limited testing under Red
> Hat 6.0, and no testing yet under other distributions.  The limited
> testing only reflects what we've done so far, and not at all an
> intended limitation.

>  -The Compaq C/C++ Team

> --
> Please do not reply to this message, as your reply will be lost.

> For technical support and bug reports, please see:
>  http://www.iol.unh.edu/linux/C/

> For comments and inquiries about the beta test, please see:
>  http://www.unix.digital.com/linux/compaq_c/feedback.htm

Compaq sucks. Crappy machines, crappy software, crappy service, and now
spam?
Geez.

--
_________________________________
Jordan Katz

Post by Janne Sinkkone » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Compaq sucks. Crappy machines, crappy software, crappy service, and
> now spam?

Please keep your ignorance to yourself.

The compiler is free for everybody to download during the beta
test. It will probably be free after beta. It produces much faster
code for Alpha than gcc. For people doing numerical work in Alpha
Linux, Compaq's Fortran and C compilers are probably the most
important announcement after Alpha Linux itself.

--

Post by Jeremy Jancsar » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Please keep your ignorance to yourself.

And your question about C is???

--
Regards,

Jeremy Jancsary

/***************************Quote of the Day************************
*                                                                  *
*  Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build        *
*  bridges even where there are no rivers.                         *
*                                                                  *
*                                            -- Nikita Khrushchev  *
*                                                                  *
*******************************************************************/

Post by Kai Dup » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

: For people doing numerical work in Alpha
: Linux, Compaq's Fortran and C compilers are probably the most
: important announcement after Alpha Linux itself.

That's right.

--
Kai Dupke            | Badenstedter Str. 121 | 30453 Hannover/Germany
Tel +49 511 49 97 70 | Fax +49 511 49 97 71  | Holt fast - kolt isen.

Am 1.11.89 war KEIN Internetstreik.

Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Post by wetbo » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the good info!

-- Wetboy
Initiator of the campaign to counteract the curmudgeons in C.L.C

[...]

: --
: Please do not reply to this message, as your reply will be lost.

: For technical support and bug reports, please see:
:  http://www.iol.unh.edu/linux/C/

: For comments and inquiries about the beta test, please see:
:  http://www.unix.digital.com/linux/compaq_c/feedback.htm

Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Post by Paul Lutu » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > ... and now spam?

> Please keep your ignorance to yourself.

> The compiler is free for everybody to download during the beta test. >>

It is spam. The only ignorance on display is yours -- of basic netiquette
issues. And it appears you will remain ignorant during your beta test
period, hopefully brief.

--

Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

> > Compaq sucks. Crappy machines, crappy software, crappy service, and
> > now spam?

> Please keep your ignorance to yourself.

> The compiler is free for everybody to download during the beta
> test. It will probably be free after beta. It produces much faster
> code for Alpha than gcc. For people doing numerical work in Alpha
> Linux, Compaq's Fortran and C compilers are probably the most
> important announcement after Alpha Linux itself.

> --

Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Post by JJ » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Gee this is the  Linux.alpha newsgroup, right???????

Compaq, now owns Alpha???? (Bought DEC)

They have a free compiler for Alpha Linux, they post to the newsgroup its
available for free download

How does that count as Spam,   I though Spam was blasting stuff to unrelated
conferences????

JJ

Post by Richard J. Dawe » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> [Compaq announcement snipped]
> Compaq sucks. Crappy machines, crappy software, crappy service, and now
> spam?
> Geez.

Your personal commentary regarding Compaq aside, this was not spam.
comp.lang.c seems like a logical place make an announcement about a
new, *free* C compiler.

Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Post by Paul Lutu » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> They have a free compiler for Alpha Linux, they post to the newsgroup its
> available for free download

It's not free. They hope to get you to test their product in beta form, then
they may thank you by making you pay for the release version.

Quote:

> How does that count as Spam,   I though Spam was blasting stuff to
unrelated
> conferences????

Look at the cross-post in the header of this message (a NG that excludes
compiler-specific posts). Spam is also defined as unsolicited commercial
advertising.

--

Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

http://www.iki.fi/~janne/

Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Post by Paul Lutu » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Your personal commentary regarding Compaq aside, this was not spam.
> comp.lang.c seems like a logical place make an announcement about a
> new, *free* C compiler.

1. It is *not free*. It is a beta test version of a commercial product.
2. comp.lang.c is a forum for discussions of ANSI/ISO C, not
compiler-specific issues.

--

Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

> > [Compaq announcement snipped]
> > Compaq sucks. Crappy machines, crappy software, crappy service, and now
> > spam?
> > Geez.

> Your personal commentary regarding Compaq aside, this was not spam.
> comp.lang.c seems like a logical place make an announcement about a
> new, *free* C compiler.

> --

Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Post by Jordan Kat » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> > Compaq sucks. Crappy machines, crappy software, crappy service, and
> > now spam?

> Please keep your ignorance to yourself.

> The compiler is free for everybody to download during the beta
> test. It will probably be free after beta. It produces much faster
> code for Alpha than gcc. For people doing numerical work in Alpha
> Linux, Compaq's Fortran and C compilers are probably the most
> important announcement after Alpha Linux itself.

> --

That does *NOT* justify spamming. This not the appropriote newsgroup for
advertising.

--
_________________________________
Jordan Katz

Post by Lawrence Kir » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>Gee this is the  Linux.alpha newsgroup, right???????

Wrong, (well, half wrong). I assume that anybody making such a statement
would al lease check the newsgroup that they pare posting to. In this case
that is comp.lang.c and comp.os.linux.alpha.

Quote:>Compaq, now owns Alpha???? (Bought DEC)

>They have a free compiler for Alpha Linux, they post to the newsgroup its
>available for free download

Correction: they've crossposted to two newsgroups.

Quote:>How does that count as Spam,   I though Spam was blasting stuff to unrelated
>conferences????

Personally I'm not too concerned about pointers to free non-commercial
compilers appearing occasionally in comp.lang.c. However these are
inherently platform-specific and comp.lang.c is not concerned with
platform-specific issues so if people object that isn't unreasonable
either.

Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Post by Helmut Katzgrabe » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

i agree!

> : For people doing numerical work in Alpha
> : Linux, Compaq's Fortran and C compilers are probably the most
> : important announcement after Alpha Linux itself.

> That's right.

> --
> Kai Dupke            | Badenstedter Str. 121 | 30453 Hannover/Germany
> Tel +49 511 49 97 70 | Fax +49 511 49 97 71  | Holt fast - kolt isen.
> PGP 1024/E3411031 3F 5E BF 76 99 B0 CC 6C  3E A6 11 E7 A3 3B 5E D8

> Am 1.11.89 war KEIN Internetstreik.

Physics Department, Kerr Hall   http://debussy.ucsc.edu/~dummkopf
University of California        Phone:  (+1) 831-459-4762
Santa Cruz, CA 95064, USA       Fax:    (+1) 831-459-3043

Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Post by Rick Dearma » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I think this is a bit of a grey area isn't it? After all annoncing a C
compiler in itself isn't so bad. Unless there is already a newsgroup
called alt.compiler.announce in which cause the OP should have been
redirected.

As someone else pointed out a lot of C meetings/shows/forums have been
announced and no one objected to them they were just ignored.

Personally I don't see this as a problem, as I couldn't find a NG that
would have been more relevant in the simple search I did for NG's.

I did notice that comp.lang.java.annonce, maybe the java guys have it
right and we should have a comp.lan.c.annonce ng ???

> > Your personal commentary regarding Compaq aside, this was not spam.
> > comp.lang.c seems like a logical place make an announcement about a
> > new, *free* C compiler.

> 1. It is *not free*. It is a beta test version of a commercial product.
> 2. comp.lang.c is a forum for discussions of ANSI/ISO C, not
> compiler-specific issues.

> --

> Paul Lutus
> www.arachnoid.com

> > > [Compaq announcement snipped]
> > > Compaq sucks. Crappy machines, crappy software, crappy service, and now
> > > spam?
> > > Geez.

> > Your personal commentary regarding Compaq aside, this was not spam.
> > comp.lang.c seems like a logical place make an announcement about a
> > new, *free* C compiler.

> > --

1. Second public beta of Compaq C for Linux Alpha

The public beta of the Compaq C Compiler for Linux Alpha has been
updated (due to technical problems the update happened approximately
21:00 GMT on 18 October, even though the text of the page says it
happened on 15 October).

The new kit fixes a number of problems from the first beta, and
installs properly on SuSE 6.1 as well as Red Hat 6.0 and 5.2
distributions.  Installation on Debian 2.1 systems should also be
easier, although this is currently untested.

Comments from the first beta were very positive about the run-time
performance improvement produced by the compiler, with few problems
other than the installation's being too specific to Red Hat 5.2, which
should now be resolved.

Go to: http://www.compaq.com/linux and click on "Software" under
"Products" on the menu at the left side of the page for more
information and immediate access to the download files after accepting
the beta license terms and filling out a brief registration form.

 -The Compaq C/C++ Team

--
Please do not reply to this message, as your reply will be lost.

For technical support and bug reports, please see:
 http://www.iol.unh.edu/linux/C/

For comments and inquiries about the beta test, please use
the feedback form from the download pages.

2. vgetty ?

3. Compaq Fortran for Linux Alpha Systems now available for Beta Test!

4. Linux 2.0.10 and memory

5. ANNOUNCE: PGP for Personal Privacy, Version 5.0 Linux Public Beta

6. US Robotics problems on Sparc IPC

7. [linux-lvm] [ANNOUNCE] LVM reimplementation ready for beta testing

8. HELP need for mmap() on Linux!!

9. Compile TeX with the Compaq's Beta C for Alpha/Linux?

10. Compaq Visual Threads for Linux (Alpha & IA32) Beta

11. Compaq announces new cluster hardware, optimized Linux compiler, etc.

12. Functional Objects Announces its Linux Alpha Test Program

13. Compaq to port its Fortran and C compilers to Alpha Linux