Not there yet

Post by Roge » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 19:24:43

Hello all,

             I wonder if anyone can throw some light on our problem....

We're trying to install RedHat 7.2 on to an AlphaPC 164UX box, and having
difficulties with MILO. After much searching around we've obtained a version
(Jay's Hacked Version) of milo-ruffian.bin, used rawrite to extract it,
giving us three files (ldmilo.exe, linload.exe, milo). We've tried copying
the files to floppy and also on to a small partition, and adjusted the
environment variables to use multi(0)disk(0)fdisk(0) or scsi(0)etc... On
start it now says it is loading MILO, followed by "MILO File with 607504
bytes loaded at 80500000"
and then hangs - no error message, just a flashing cursor.

Any ideas? Its driving us up the wall!

TIA

Alison & Roger.

Not there yet

Post by Gary Hest » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:09:27

>Hello all,
>             I wonder if anyone can throw some light on our problem....
>We're trying to install RedHat 7.2 on to an AlphaPC 164UX box, and having
>difficulties with MILO. After much searching around we've obtained a version
>(Jay's Hacked Version) of milo-ruffian.bin, used rawrite to extract it,
>giving us three files (ldmilo.exe, linload.exe, milo). We've tried copying
>the files to floppy and also on to a small partition, and adjusted the
>environment variables to use multi(0)disk(0)fdisk(0) or scsi(0)etc... On
>start it now says it is loading MILO, followed by "MILO File with 607504
>bytes loaded at 80500000"
>and then hangs - no error message, just a flashing cursor.
>Any ideas? Its driving us up the wall!

For starters, rawrite is supposed to take a binary file and write it
directly to a floppy; how are you using it to "extract" files? There
shouldn't be any copying of files involved (that won't get things like
a boot sector).

Gary

--

PHB: "That's the sort of leadership that will turn this company around."
Wally: "Were we doing well?"

Not there yet

Post by George Sexto » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:15:53

extensive install guide for RedHat 7.2 about a year ago that should help
you out.

> Hello all,

>              I wonder if anyone can throw some light on our problem....

> We're trying to install RedHat 7.2 on to an AlphaPC 164UX box, and having
> difficulties with MILO. After much searching around we've obtained a version
> (Jay's Hacked Version) of milo-ruffian.bin, used rawrite to extract it,
> giving us three files (ldmilo.exe, linload.exe, milo). We've tried copying
> the files to floppy and also on to a small partition, and adjusted the
> environment variables to use multi(0)disk(0)fdisk(0) or scsi(0)etc... On
> start it now says it is loading MILO, followed by "MILO File with 607504
> bytes loaded at 80500000"
> and then hangs - no error message, just a flashing cursor.

> Any ideas? Its driving us up the wall!

> TIA

> Alison & Roger.

Not there yet

Post by Roge » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 00:33:43

> >Hello all,

> >             I wonder if anyone can throw some light on our problem....

> >We're trying to install RedHat 7.2 on to an AlphaPC 164UX box, and having
> >difficulties with MILO. After much searching around we've obtained a
version
> >(Jay's Hacked Version) of milo-ruffian.bin, used rawrite to extract it,
> >giving us three files (ldmilo.exe, linload.exe, milo). We've tried
copying
> >the files to floppy and also on to a small partition, and adjusted the
> >environment variables to use multi(0)disk(0)fdisk(0) or scsi(0)etc... On
> >start it now says it is loading MILO, followed by "MILO File with 607504
> >bytes loaded at 80500000"
> >and then hangs - no error message, just a flashing cursor.

> >Any ideas? Its driving us up the wall!

> For starters, rawrite is supposed to take a binary file and write it
> directly to a floppy; how are you using it to "extract" files? There
> shouldn't be any copying of files involved (that won't get things like
> a boot sector).

Hi Gary,

             sorry if I'm not clear - the download of MILO we originally
found was a .bin file that rawrite turned into the three separate files
(above). However, since then we've downloaded the files themselves from
SuSE - MILO (the Ruffian version), ldmilo.exe and linload.exe. However,
still no success - no further along than before, it hangs after saying its
loaded MILO with no MILO> prompt. This is using ldmilo.exe as the OSLOADER.

Any ideas/suggestions etc. most gratefully received!

Thanks

Alison & Roger.

Not there yet

Post by bob smit » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 00:40:59

Subject: Re: Anyone ever try using a 164LX Firmware on a 164UX?
Original Format
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.alpha
Date: 2002-08-07 08:55:49 PST

 > Since the boards are very similar, it would be advantageous to use the
 > superior 164LX Firmware on the 164UX (Ruffian). The Ruffian has poor GFX
 > support and no Redhat support anymore.
 >
 >
 > Anyone have any words of wisdom on the subject?
 >
 > Matt

I have RedHat 7.2 running on a Ruffian with no major problems. I am
using Milo
2.2.18. Here are my abbreviated instructions:

1) Make a floppy disk with ramdisk.img on it.
2) Make a floppy disk with drvblock.img on it.
3) Boot MILO only, and insert the RedHat 7.2 CDROM.
4) From MILO run the boot command:

boot sr0:/kernels/vmlinux.gz root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1

5) When prompted, insert the ramdisk image floppy you made above and
press enter.

6) Next, it will ask the install type. If you are doing a CD
Installation, the Symbios 53cxx SCSI driver is not in the default image.
  a) Press F2 and insert the drvblock.img diskette.
  b) select the Symbios SCSI driver.

7) From here on out, things should go OK. Remember, since MILO doesn't
understand EXT3 partitions, that your /boot partition must be ext2.
8) In your environment variables set up, you will need to add an initrd=
statement to the environment variable you boot, or your MILO command
line. My complete MILO command line is:

boot sda3:/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.9-32.5 \
  initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.9-32.5 \
  root=/dev/sda3

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/

> extensive install guide for RedHat 7.2 about a year ago that should help
> you out.

>>Hello all,

>>             I wonder if anyone can throw some light on our problem....

>>We're trying to install RedHat 7.2 on to an AlphaPC 164UX box, and having
>>difficulties with MILO. After much searching around we've obtained a version
>>(Jay's Hacked Version) of milo-ruffian.bin, used rawrite to extract it,
>>giving us three files (ldmilo.exe, linload.exe, milo). We've tried copying
>>the files to floppy and also on to a small partition, and adjusted the
>>environment variables to use multi(0)disk(0)fdisk(0) or scsi(0)etc... On
>>start it now says it is loading MILO, followed by "MILO File with 607504
>>bytes loaded at 80500000"
>>and then hangs - no error message, just a flashing cursor.

>>Any ideas? Its driving us up the wall!

>>TIA

>>Alison & Roger.

Not there yet

Post by Samue » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:33:59

Quote:>Hello all,
>             I wonder if anyone can throw some light on our problem....
>We're trying to install RedHat 7.2 on to an AlphaPC 164UX box, and having
>difficulties with MILO. After much searching around we've obtained a version
>(Jay's Hacked Version) of milo-ruffian.bin, used rawrite to extract it,
>giving us three files (ldmilo.exe, linload.exe, milo). We've tried copying
>the files to floppy and also on to a small partition, and adjusted the
>environment variables to use multi(0)disk(0)fdisk(0) or scsi(0)etc... On
>start it now says it is loading MILO, followed by "MILO File with 607504
>bytes loaded at 80500000"
>and then hangs - no error message, just a flashing cursor.
>Any ideas? Its driving us up the wall!

Did you finally solve it? I have the same problem (MILO doesn't promt
anything on a ruffian). I need a recent MILO to upgrade the kernel to
2.4.x, but those I downloaded from http://www.suse.de/~stepan/ hang
exactly as you have described...

Thanks in advance

Samuel

--
Samuel Mo?ux Salvador
PGP Key pgp.rediris.es    -----         KeyID 0x822583C2

Not there yet

Post by George Sexto » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:10:42

You can download the one I am using from:

ftp://ftp.mhsoftware.com/milo.zip

I have run 2.4.20 with it, and am currently running 2.4.18-27.7.x.hpmilo
with it.

>>Hello all,
>>             I wonder if anyone can throw some light on our problem....
>>We're trying to install RedHat 7.2 on to an AlphaPC 164UX box, and having
>>difficulties with MILO. After much searching around we've obtained a
>>version (Jay's Hacked Version) of milo-ruffian.bin, used rawrite to
>>extract it, giving us three files (ldmilo.exe, linload.exe, milo). We've
>>tried copying the files to floppy and also on to a small partition, and
>>adjusted the environment variables to use multi(0)disk(0)fdisk(0) or
>>scsi(0)etc... On start it now says it is loading MILO, followed by "MILO
>>File with 607504 bytes loaded at 80500000"
>>and then hangs - no error message, just a flashing cursor. Any ideas? Its
>>driving us up the wall!

> Did you finally solve it? I have the same problem (MILO doesn't promt
> anything on a ruffian). I need a recent MILO to upgrade the kernel to
> 2.4.x, but those I downloaded from http://www.suse.de/~stepan/ hang
> exactly as you have described...

> Thanks in advance

> Samuel

Not there yet

Post by Roge » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:26:20

Quote:> You can download the one I am using from:

> ftp://ftp.mhsoftware.com/milo.zip

> I have run 2.4.20 with it, and am currently running 2.4.18-27.7.x.hpmilo
> with it.

George,

             thanks for the link, alas - no further along. This set of files
ends with the message "MILO File with 607504 bytes loaded at 80500000" and
then hangs.
Am I forgetting to do something obvious? Or is our Alpha box just incapable
of loading MILO? As far as I know it is a standard Samsung UX board with
ARCS BIOS Ver 61.0.

Thanks,

Alison & Roger

Not there yet

Post by George Sexto » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 08:32:06

Do you have the PCI video card in the FIRST slot?

There is an FAQ that says this is no longer a requirement, but I haven't
tested it. The symptoms are the same as you are reporting.

http://www.alphalinux.org/faq/FAQ-11.html

If you do, please post the contents of your complete environment variable
set that you are using and I will compare it with mine.

>> You can download the one I am using from:
>              files
> ends with the message "MILO File with 607504 bytes loaded at 80500000" and
> then hangs.
> Am I forgetting to do something obvious? Or is our Alpha box just
> incapable of loading MILO? As far as I know it is a standard Samsung UX
> board with ARCS BIOS Ver 61.0.

> Thanks,

> Alison & Roger

Not there yet

Post by Samue » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 21:56:06

El Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:32:06 -0600, George Sexton

Quote:> Do you have the PCI video card in the FIRST slot?

> There is an FAQ that says this is no longer a requirement, but I haven't
> tested it. The symptoms are the same as you are reporting.

> http://www.alphalinux.org/faq/FAQ-11.html

> If you do, please post the contents of your complete environment variable
> set that you are using and I will compare it with mine.

Thanks a lot, George. That was exactly my problem. I had the video card
in the second PCI slot, and after changing it to the first, MILO booted
successfully. I had read the FAQ, but I believed it where said it was a
solved issue. In fact 2.0.34-based MILO works with that configuration.

Is the FAQ actively maintained? I think this should be reported.

Samuel
--
Samuel Mo?ux Salvador
PGP Key pgp.rediris.es    -----         KeyID 0x822583C2

Not there yet

Post by Roge » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:55:35

George,

            thanks for that - moving the video card into the 64 bit PCI slot
works, and we've now got a MILO prompt! Various "unknown device void"
messages, but a great leap forward!
Thanks again.

Alison & Roger