Alpha 166 && Linux Please Help

Post by Todd Richer » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I just bought a used Alpha 166, not sure of the model, the stamp says made
in
march of '95.  Has a 340 meg SCSI HD and it boots to some firmware menu, I
can't foor the life of me figure out how to get it to boot off of a disk so
that I can
install Linux, please whatever help you might be able to offer is so
greatly appreciated!!!!

Todd Richert

Alpha 166 && Linux Please Help

Post by Mark Gelin » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I just bought a used Alpha 166, not sure of the model, the stamp says
> made in march of '95.  Has a 340 meg SCSI HD and it boots to some
> firmware menu, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it
> to boot off of a disk so that I can install Linux, please whatever
> help you might be able to offer is so greatly appreciated!!!!

The model number would help, but it sounds like you got a Multia/UDB
(looks like a pizza box). Model numbers on them begin with VX40, VX41,
or VX42.  Since you will be running Linux on it, call it a UDB (Universal
Desktop Box).  Multia refers to the box with Multia software on it -
basically NT 3.5 with some Digital networking addons.

Assuming you have a web browser available, surf over to:

   http://www.dcginc.com/linux.htm

where there are step-by-step instructions for loading RedHat Linux.
Should apply to any other Alpha distribution though.

MarkG
--
Mark Gelinas                         Digital Equipment Corporation

Phone: +1 (603) 884-1511             Nashua, NH 03062-2642  USA
Views expressed are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer.

Alpha 166 && Linux Please Help

Post by Jon Fiedl » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>> I just bought a used Alpha 166, not sure of the model, the stamp says
>> made in march of '95.  Has a 340 meg SCSI HD and it boots to some
>> firmware menu, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it
>> to boot off of a disk so that I can install Linux, please whatever
>> help you might be able to offer is so greatly appreciated!!!!

>The model number would help, but it sounds like you got a Multia/UDB
>(looks like a pizza box). Model numbers on them begin with VX40, VX41,
>or VX42.  Since you will be running Linux on it, call it a UDB (Universal
>Desktop Box).  Multia refers to the box with Multia software on it -
>basically NT 3.5 with some Digital networking addons.

>Assuming you have a web browser available, surf over to:

>   http://www.dcginc.com/linux.htm

>where there are step-by-step instructions for loading RedHat Linux.
>Should apply to any other Alpha distribution though.

Also, check out:
http://www.azstarnet.com/~axplinux/
The linux Alpha home page.  This has some good info and should get you
past the firmware menu (which is most likely the ARC console).

Jon

Alpha 166 && Linux Please Help

Post by Michael Ch » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>>> I just bought a used Alpha 166, not sure of the model, the stamp says
>>> made in march of '95.  Has a 340 meg SCSI HD and it boots to some
>>> firmware menu, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it
>>> to boot off of a disk so that I can install Linux, please whatever
>>> help you might be able to offer is so greatly appreciated!!!!

>>The model number would help, but it sounds like you got a Multia/UDB
>>(looks like a pizza box). Model numbers on them begin with VX40, VX41,
>>or VX42.  Since you will be running Linux on it, call it a UDB (Universal
>>Desktop Box).  Multia refers to the box with Multia software on it -
>>basically NT 3.5 with some Digital networking addons.

     Now my office (Leesel International Inc.) have bought all the
right about the Multia machines. So maybe I can provide some
information about it.

     You should make a Linux boot disk, then add a new boot selection
in the ARC boot menu. After boot from the floppy, you can install
the Linux from SCSI CD-ROM or other media.

     You should check the version of your bios (the first line shows
after you boot your machine, with the characters "BL...."), and try to
upgrate it to BL5. If you need more information about Multia, please
let me know.

1. Alpha 166 && Linux Please Help!

is it a little thing, about the size of a small pizza box?  if so, it's
probably a noname udb, aka multia.  check out the installation guide at
www.redhat.com, they've got some pretty good docs on setting up the
firmware for installation.

paramount.res.wpi.net RH 5.0 kernel 2.0.33/2.1.80p4 i586 | at public servers
Coach: How's a beer sound, Norm?
Norm:  I dunno.  I usually finish them before they get a word in.
                -- Cheers, Fortune and Men's Weights

2. X-server access problem in RH 7.1

3. Shuttle 557 & 6x86 166: winos2 breaks & Xwindows dies.

4. Help on error-messages!

6. xterm + minicom + Hebrew fonts

8. How to register an IP address (with the proper authorities...)

9. 没有人用中文吗?

10. &&&&&& NEEED HELP COMPAQ AND XXXXXXXXXXX

11. &&&&&& SUGGESTION ??? &&&&&&&&

12. Gateway 2000 P5 166 & Linux

13. HELP Alpha AXP 150 vs. 166?