FPM vs EDO memory for alphapc 164

Post by Aaron Lupta » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:51:36

I have an AlphaPC 164 (not lx, sx, ux, etc), that I need to buy memory
for.  Will EDO memory work, or do I need to buy FPM?  I read somewhere
that the 164 required FPM, but I can't find anything about it in the
Technical Reference Manual.

Thanks
Aaron

Post by Douglas H. Quebbema » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 23:43:59

> I have an AlphaPC 164 (not lx, sx, ux, etc), that I need to buy memory
> for.  Will EDO memory work, or do I need to buy FPM?  I read somewhere
> that the 164 required FPM, but I can't find anything about it in the
> Technical Reference Manual.

Mine seems to work with EDO; I managed to buy 128MB of FPM,
but until I get another 128MB, I'll stick with the 256MB of EDO.

--

To reply, place PUNCHTHRU in square brackets in SUBJECT line
"The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away."  -Tom Waits

FPM vs EDO memory for alphapc 164

Post by Torsten Zirzlaf » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 04:43:33

Hi.

> I have an AlphaPC 164 (not lx, sx, ux, etc), that I need to buy memory
> for.  Will EDO memory work, or do I need to buy FPM?  I read somewhere
> that the 164 required FPM, but I can't find anything about it in the
> Technical Reference Manual.

  Hm, I thought it is crucial, that you have memory with real ECC.

Quote:> Thanks
> Aaron

Ciao

        Torsten
--
s-mail: Neckarstr. 120                                         Torsten Zirzlaff
        70190 Stuttgart

mobil: +49 174 857 56 77
data:  +49 711 286 40 57/9

|  The shortest unit of time in the universe is the New York Second, defined  |
|  as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green and the cab |
|  behind you honking. -- Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'                  |

FPM vs EDO memory for alphapc 164

Post by Aaron Lupta » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:50:02

afaik, parity(ECC) is available both in EDO and FPM memory.   EDO and FPM
have something do with the way data is addressed (EDO stands for Extended
data output, FPM is fast page mode).  Is this correct?

Aaron

1. AlphaPC 164 Memory

Do anyone have ideas about what memory moudule on the market could work
with AlphaPC 164 (not SX or LX) motherboard. I try to reach Kingston,
Vikingcomponent and Transcend, but there's no clear answer. They just
told me they have the same spec (36bits, 72pins,FPM) memory, you can
try, but it take a lot of money. Could anyone help?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Help: Creative Labs Hex Speed CDROM on second controller

3. AlphaPC 164 Help..

4. Sound recording

5. DEC alphaPC 164 motherboard questions

6. Setting up Audio

7. unix installation on alphapc 164 LX ?

8. Newbie Question - VPN/IPSEC on Linux

9. AlphaPC 164 made by Multiwave

10. alphaPC 164 motherboard questions

11. Video cards an AlphaPC 164's.