No ipchains on Redhat 7.2 Alpha?

Post by Alexander Fon » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 09:03:29

Hi guys!

I get an 'ipchains: Incompatible with this kernel' error when I try to use
ipchains. It's using kernel 2.4.9-32.5smp on an Alphaserver 2000 with 2x
4/275.  No network card as of yet.  I'll still looking for one, then this
thing (barring any other setbacks) should be up and running.

Any ideas?

      Back up the hard drive??  I can't find the reverse switch!

Post by Pierre Asseli » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 10:48:20

> I get an 'ipchains: Incompatible with this kernel' error when I try to use
> ipchains. It's using kernel 2.4.9-32.5smp on an Alphaserver 2000 with 2x
> 4/275.  No network card as of yet.  I'll still looking for one, then this
> thing (barring any other setbacks) should be up and running.
> Any ideas?

Weird!  Try running "iptables -nL" or some other innocuous thing and
see if the kernel supports that.  If it does, your path of least resistance
would be to switch to iptables.  There isn't a HOWTO that I know of, but
the man page seems ok if you already know ipchains.

Post by Antti J?rvin » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 16:40:11

> I get an 'ipchains: Incompatible with this kernel' error when I try to use
> ipchains. It's using kernel 2.4.9-32.5smp on an Alphaserver 2000 with 2x
> 4/275.  No network card as of yet.  I'll still looking for one, then this
> thing (barring any other setbacks) should be up and running.

Propably the ipchains module is not loaded but iptables is, try checking
content of /proc/modules if there's anything remotely looking like that.
If yes, you could try saying
/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop
at this point check if iptables modules still hang in /proc/modules,
if yes, /sbin/rmmod them. after there's no trace of iptables, say
/etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains start
and to make that effective at next boot also rename the *iptables and
*ipchains symlinks in /etc/rc.d/rc?.d/ directories so that iptables
wont get started. And write /etc/sysconfig/ipchains file..as the first
thing :)

--

            "concerto for two *s and orchestra"

Post by Michal Jaegerman » Sun, 09 Feb 2003 03:41:08

> I get an 'ipchains: Incompatible with this kernel' error when I try to use
> ipchains.

Your kernel is "incompatible" as long as suitable modules are not
loaded.  One of possible reasons is that you have iptables support
active.  That would prevent loading ipchains.

  Michal