How to restore the firmware on an AXP-150 (Jensen)?

How to restore the firmware on an AXP-150 (Jensen)?

Post by Chris Waltha » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 16:27:38

    Hi guys,

I was in the process of upgrading the firmware in an old DECpc AXP 150
(a.k.a. Jensen)
that I've got lying around so that it would boot Linux, and ran into a bit
of a problem.

It seems that, after the initial firmware upgrade process (which was done in
ARC I think),
the system asked to be rebooted and then fed the EISA configuration disk.
Upon booting,
however, the system just boots with ARC and then sits there, and doesn't
give me the menu
that I expect it to.

Is there any way that I can possibly restore it? I've tried unplugging the
battery powering the
CMOS, though that hasn't worked. Are there any other things I could try?

cheers,

Chris

How to restore the firmware on an AXP-150 (Jensen)?

Post by brian corbi » Sun, 03 Jun 2001 05:03:28

Connect a dumb terminal or setup a terminal emulator on a PC and connect to
COM1 port at 9600b 8b no parity .
This is an alternate console and you may be booting into serial console mode
in to the SRM console used for VMS or Tru64 unix.
IF you get to the >>> prompt type        set os_type nt
then power off on to boot to arc.

brian

Quote:>     Hi guys,

> I was in the process of upgrading the firmware in an old DECpc AXP 150
> (a.k.a. Jensen)
> that I've got lying around so that it would boot Linux, and ran into a bit
> of a problem.

> It seems that, after the initial firmware upgrade process (which was done
in
> ARC I think),
> the system asked to be rebooted and then fed the EISA configuration disk.
> Upon booting,
> however, the system just boots with ARC and then sits there, and doesn't
> give me the menu
> that I expect it to.

> Is there any way that I can possibly restore it? I've tried unplugging the
> battery powering the
> CMOS, though that hasn't worked. Are there any other things I could try?

> cheers,

> Chris

1. Confirmation about Jensen AXP-150

Would someone be kind enough to confirm that in order to get Linux
running on a Jensen ( AXP-150 ) it would require SRM firmware 1.7 or
lower, and that it can't work with any higher revision.

Also, if SRM firmware 1.7 is required, would it also be possible to have
both Linux and NT 4.0 Server in dual boot.  I have searched on this
topic, but seem to get mixed answers.

Thanx

2. /dev/ttyS1 permission denied

3. Linux on a Jensen (DECpc AXP/150)

4. iso image file mounting

5. Linux on Digital AXP 150 PC (Jensen PC)

6. Matrox Millenium II AGP Problems

7. Booting Alpha AXP 150 (jensen) with Linux - ??

8. YaST and SuSE

9. Trying to install Redhat 5.2 on Jensen DECpc axp 150

10. Alpha AXP 150 (a.k.a. Jensen)

11. RedHat Linux 6.2 on DECpc AXP 150 Jensen (Alpha)

12. Succesfull install on DEC 2000 150 AXP (Jensen)?

13. Compiling Kernel on RedHat 4.0 on Digital AXP 150 (Jensen)