Alpha Server 800 (3305R) and Alpha Server 5300`

Alpha Server 800 (3305R) and Alpha Server 5300`

Post by James Brag » Mon, 01 May 2000 04:00:00

    I have installed RH6.2 on my AS 800 but it wont bring up the Ethernet
interface. When I boot the system it says testing network then the next line
says change mode to internal loopback. When I do a ifconfig all it shows is
my lo interface. It doesn't have a eth0 shown. Any help would be great. I
have 6 of these things and don't want to put NT on them.

I'm also having this same problem on the 5300. When it boots the system says
bringing up eth0 [Failed]. Does this on both systems. Is it a setting in SRM
console. The only interface isconfig shows it LO. When I go into linuxconfig
and tell it to bring up the interface and it says delaying interface. Then
in the log it tells me the interface failed to come up. Any ideals?

Post by h0l0gRa » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

>     I have installed RH6.2 on my AS 800 but it wont bring up the Ethernet
> interface. When I boot the system it says testing network then the next line
> says change mode to internal loopback. When I do a ifconfig all it shows is
> my lo interface. It doesn't have a eth0 shown. Any help would be great. I
> have 6 of these things and don't want to put NT on them.

> I'm also having this same problem on the 5300. When it boots the system says
> bringing up eth0 [Failed]. Does this on both systems. Is it a setting in SRM
> console. The only interface isconfig shows it LO. When I go into linuxconfig
> and tell it to bring up the interface and it says delaying interface. Then
> in the log it tells me the interface failed to come up. Any ideals?

Have you tried RH6.1 or 6.0 ?

I got similar problem ,eth0 gets up ,but I need to do ifconfig eth0 down up
after boot up.
If I don't do that ,ppp won't work properly ,it gets up but looses all
information.

Alpha Server 800 (3305R) and Alpha Server 5300`

Post by Martin Sino » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>     I have installed RH6.2 on my AS 800 but it wont bring up the Ethernet
> interface. When I boot the system it says testing network then the next
line
> says change mode to internal loopback. When I do a ifconfig all it shows
is
> my lo interface. It doesn't have a eth0 shown. Any help would be great. I
> have 6 of these things and don't want to put NT on them.

> I'm also having this same problem on the 5300. When it boots the system
says
> bringing up eth0 [Failed]. Does this on both systems. Is it a setting in
SRM
> console. The only interface isconfig shows it LO. When I go into
linuxconfig
> and tell it to bring up the interface and it says delaying interface. Then
> in the log it tells me the interface failed to come up. Any ideals?

Did you configure a network adapter in your kernel? If you didn't,
you will have no network, regardless of any SRM settings.

--
Martin Sinot
Nijmegen, Netherlands

Alpha Server 800 (3305R) and Alpha Server 5300`

Post by JJ » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

do you have an active tp or bnc  connected to the network port.

jj

Post by Kjoe » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>     I have installed RH6.2 on my AS 800 but it wont bring up the Ethernet
> interface. When I boot the system it says testing network then the next
line
> says change mode to internal loopback. When I do a ifconfig all it shows
is
> my lo interface. It doesn't have a eth0 shown. Any help would be great. I
> have 6 of these things and don't want to put NT on them.

> I'm also having this same problem on the 5300. When it boots the system
says
> bringing up eth0 [Failed]. Does this on both systems. Is it a setting in
SRM
> console. The only interface isconfig shows it LO. When I go into
linuxconfig
> and tell it to bring up the interface and it says delaying interface. Then
> in the log it tells me the interface failed to come up. Any ideals?

if you load it as module try 'insmod <modules> args='eth0:autosense=TP'
works for me

Alpha Server 800 (3305R) and Alpha Server 5300`

Post by Bo » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

James:

What type of NIC do you have?

As root,

cd /usr/src/linux

if you are not running X, run

start X

now run

make xconfig

After the GUI comes up, check the Ethernet 10/100 cards to make sure that
you have   Y (yes) or M (module) support for the card you own built into the
kernel.  Linuxconf allows you to choose cards that are NOT compiled in ;-(.

If you need to compile it in, the click the appropriate card, module is find.

The go to the main menu and click on save and exit.

In the same directory,

make dep
make
make modules
make modules_install

cp vmlinux /boot/vmlinux-KERNEL.VERSION.NUMBER
cp System.map /boot/System.map-KERNEL.VERSION.NUMBER

cd /boot
rm System.map (it is a symbolic link, you are not deleting a file)

ln -s /boot/System.map-KERNEL.VERSION.NUMBER System.map

shutdown -h now

Add the new kernel to your milo commands in the arc cmos control window
or however you configure the srm console.

Bob

>     I have installed RH6.2 on my AS 800 but it wont bring up the Ethernet
> interface. When I boot the system it says testing network then the next line
> says change mode to internal loopback. When I do a ifconfig all it shows is
> my lo interface. It doesn't have a eth0 shown. Any help would be great. I
> have 6 of these things and don't want to put NT on them.

> I'm also having this same problem on the 5300. When it boots the system says
> bringing up eth0 [Failed]. Does this on both systems. Is it a setting in SRM
> console. The only interface isconfig shows it LO. When I go into linuxconfig
> and tell it to bring up the interface and it says delaying interface. Then
> in the log it tells me the interface failed to come up. Any ideals?

1. Alpha Server 800 (aka Noritake) and Red Hat 6.1

Forgive my newbieness...

I have a DEC AlphaServer 800 and am wanting to install RH 6.1 on it.

Well, I guess I'll go with any Linux distro if it will install.

The general impression I'm getting is that I must use linload.exe and
milo from the AlphaBIOS OS loader (OS Selection Setup) to boot.

Is this the case?

I can't find a milo image for Noritake.

Am I headed in the right direction? Can someone smack me in the right
direction.

Thanks!

-Chad

2. DEC DE201 enet card switches

3. Linux on a DIGITAL ALPHA Server 800 5/400

4. MA 202 SVGA CARD

5. digital alpha server 800 and video card

6. CGI fails to execute

7. alpha server 800 + DAT TLZ09 SCSI

8. 24 bit with Cirrus???

9. Redhat 7.2 Alpha on Digital Alpha Server 1000 4/233

10. digital alpha aserver 800 5/333

11. Digital Server 5300

12. Digital server 3300/5300