broken glibc under RH5.0

Post by Ale » Sun, 01 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hello Alphas out there

I am trying to compile a new glibc, so the old one distributed with RH 5.0 seems to be broken.
Is anyone out there working on this, too? Please get in contact with me (use Mail address from signature).
My problems:
+1) gcc broken -> so I installed egcs ; now works great
+2) I had to compile the new libg++ (V 2.8.0)
+3) When I try to run a previously compiled software (with egcs, C++) that accesses by Xt it gets SIGSEGV (what else ;-)) at strlen !!

Will I have to recompile X libraries too?

Working on glibc is a longtime job where you can drink a lot of coffees or hacking on another machine. I try to compile the newest I could find on ftp://ftp.gnu.org (Version is 2.0.6).

Let's make things work again. The only thing that makes me angry is that RedHat is not paying as much to me as I had to pay for their catastoph release V 5.0!
And I was quite happy with RH4.1 even if that one was not that fast.

Shame on them!!!!! for stealing our time.

Thanks

Alex.

--
 _ _ _ _               _ _ _ _
/ / / /                 \ \ \ \

\_\_\_\_               _/_/_/_/

broken glibc under RH5.0

Post by Michael Wilhel » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I am having the same problem with glib... good luck!!
I am going to try to reinstall the rpms I think its just corrupted.

> Hello Alphas out there

> I am trying to compile a new glibc, so the old one distributed with RH 5.0 seems to be broken.
> Is anyone out there working on this, too? Please get in contact with me (use Mail address from signature).
> My problems:
> +1) gcc broken -> so I installed egcs ; now works great
> +2) I had to compile the new libg++ (V 2.8.0)
> +3) When I try to run a previously compiled software (with egcs, C++) that accesses by Xt it gets SIGSEGV (what else ;-)) at strlen !!

> Will I have to recompile X libraries too?

> Working on glibc is a longtime job where you can drink a lot of coffees or hacking on another machine. I try to compile the newest I could find on ftp://ftp.gnu.org (Version is 2.0.6).

> Let's make things work again. The only thing that makes me angry is that RedHat is not paying as much to me as I had to pay for their catastoph release V 5.0!
> And I was quite happy with RH4.1 even if that one was not that fast.

> Shame on them!!!!! for stealing our time.

> Thanks

> Alex.

> --
>  _ _ _ _               _ _ _ _
> / / / /                 \ \ \ \
>        Alexander Diemand
>         Gallusstrasse 6
>         CH-8006 Zuerich

> \_\_\_\_               _/_/_/_/

1. glibc 2.0.7-pre -> glibc 2.1.3 ... broke :(

I tried to upgrade my glibc from 2.0.7-pre to 2.1.3 last night (to try to
run the IDL demo from RS Inc.) but came a cropper. This morning the
following symptoms are present n.b. make check worked;

o ldd works and displays (c) 1999 so is the new version.
o ldd against binary fails and moans about not being able to map a segment
  because it can't allocate memory.
o similarly glibc2 programs fail to run entirely (thankfully the system is
  libc5 based so 95% is unaffected).

Any ideas/experience/hope? All I did was;

o untar glibc2.1.3 source and glibc2.1.3-linuxthreads
o build with configure --prefix=/usr --enable-add-ons=linuxthreads
  --disable-sanity-checks [/usr => replaces old glibc2.0.x according to
  FAQ]
o make -> worked
o make check -> worked (run directly after make - make ; make check - and
  no errors shown so assumed to work)
o make install -> failed when running test-installation.pl

The failure is basically simple programs in /tmp (hello world) compile but
don't run (as described above).

How do I;

a) Unbreak my system
b) Install glibc-2.1.3 properly.

The only flaw in my plan AFAICS is that I used gcc-2.8.1 - should I
upgrade to egcs? Can I compile egcs with libc5 since thats the only
working library on my system or should I install a binary version.

--
 _ |. |_ |_  _ ,_ _ _  _ | Selwyn College, Cambridge  +44 1223 357279
(_||| |_)| )(_|| | | )(_||

2. D-Link Address

3. PPP broken in switch from RH5 to RH5.2

4. Problems in kernel memory allocation

5. Motif 2.1, glibc, RH5

6. DTR CONTROL SIGNAL

7. RH4.2 to RH5.0 The glibc nightmare

8. How to set delay for auto-repeat under fvwm?

9. Updating GLIBC from RH5.2 to RH6.2

10. compile probs w/RH5 and glibc

11. Problem with RH5 GLIBC and Metrolink Motif 2.01

12. Cross-compiling glibc->libc5 on RH5.x

13. RH5 glibc bug