Linux on Digital AXP 150 PC (Jensen PC)

Post by Henny Karrema » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi
I have a Digital AXP150 PC (Jensen) with a Compaq Qvision 1024E
(EISA) graphical adapter.
I installed Red Hat Linux 5.2 on this pc. In text mode it works fine. But
Xwindows fails to start. I think this is because the VGA adapter is not
supported.
I have tried several ISA vga adapters, but the screen remains black.
Does anyone know if it is possible to use an ISA vga adapter.
Please help me.

Linux on Digital AXP 150 PC (Jensen PC)

Post by Nils Faerbe » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: Hi
Hello!

: I have a Digital AXP150 PC (Jensen) with a Compaq Qvision 1024E
: (EISA) graphical adapter.
: I installed Red Hat Linux 5.2 on this pc. In text mode it works fine. But
: Xwindows fails to start. I think this is because the VGA adapter is not
: supported.
: I have tried several ISA vga adapters, but the screen remains black.
: Does anyone know if it is possible to use an ISA vga adapter.
: Please help me.
AFAIK the only XFree supported graphics card for the Jensen is the ELSA
Winner 1000 ISA/EISA card in EISA mode (the card has both connectors!).
CU
  nils

--

Student of computer science      http://www.si.unix-ag.org/~nils/
Unix user group, University of Siegen, Germany

Siegen ... the arctic rain forest!
--

Linux on Digital AXP 150 PC (Jensen PC)

Post by Kathryn M. Pe » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I'd be thrilled if I could confirm any card that I could run on a Jensen to
get X to work.  I need to buy a card, quickly, but I can't afford to buy a
bunch of cards that don't work.  Does anyone have a list (or a pointer to
a web page) of cards that definitely work and places to purchase them?

Thank you very much for any definite information about this!
--

  I speak for no one but me.  and occasionally the trees.

Very few profundities can be expressed in fewer than 80 characters.
------------------------

>>: I have tried several ISA vga adapters, but the screen remains black.
>>: Does anyone know if it is possible to use an ISA vga adapter.
>>: Please help me.

>Basically it should work with some cards. First, if you havn't done
>so allready, downgrade your firmware to version 1.7. Later versions
>switch the VGA mode to graphics, which adds additional problems.

>XFree only supports the Jensen cards with S3 cards.

>> AFAIK the only XFree supported graphics card for the Jensen is the ELSA
>> Winner 1000 ISA/EISA card in EISA mode (the card has both connectors!).

>That card also works with X when it's plugged in with its ISA side.
>I tried it. Though it might be neccesarry to disable direct memory
>accesses ('option nomemaccess' in the drives section of /etc/XF86Config.)

>The problem is usually not the XFree server, but the SRM console firmware.

>Digital shiped the Jensen also with an ISA S3 card (#9, I believe).
>So that one should also work. It would be nice, if anybody could
>confirm this.

>Martin
>--
>Martin Ostermann                | DEC 2000/300, DECpc-150, Jensen tips:
>Communication Networks          | http://www.comnets.rwth-aachen.de/~ost
>Aachen University of Technology | Linux/Alpha Hompage with FAQ:
>Germany                         | http://www.alphalinux.org

1. Linux on a Jensen (Dec PC 2000 AXP 150) machine

Hi all!!

I'm deseperately trying to boot a Jensen machine in order to install Linux
(i've got a Red Hat version from Infomagic April 96 and eventually, Red Hat
5.0). The matter is that, using the JENSEN-HOWTO, i've successfully got my
HD partitioned, and the BIOS to be 1.7, using the images found on the
directory that tells about jensen machines.

The next step should be to install MILO in order to boot a bootdisk and then
a rootdisk, and then, install Red Hat, but the PROBLEM is that i haven't
found any jensen images for milo or the kernel :(

All that I've got is a boot partition, a ext-2 partition (empty) and a swap
partition. The boot partition contains a little program that, once booted,
display an aboot> prompt, and that's all. It tries to load the kernel, but
displays a message "Kernel not found. Plase supply kernel name and
arguments". I've tried with vmlinuz, zImage, /dev/fd0/whatsoever.... This
aboot program doesn't help you in anyway, in fact, trying keystrokes, I
found that using the "-" key, it displays "Attempting to load raw kernel
image" (from where?)

Has anybody installed any version of Linux on this kind of machine?
Is there any other Linux distributions available for Alpha's ?
Is there any available documentation (faqs, howto's) about this problem?

Many thanks in advance!! :)

--
    Miguel Angel Rodriguez Jodar|Area de Arquitectura
    y Tecnologia de Computadores|University of Seville, Spain|

    FIDO: 2:345/425.227|Windows developer, UNIX and net administration,
    low level programming, security, computer resource developer
    for handicaped people|Seville, Spain.

2. Crash when running X

3. Compiling Kernel on RedHat 4.0 on Digital AXP 150 (Jensen)

4. Sco??

5. Linux on a Jensen (DECpc AXP/150)

6. 3com shame!

7. Booting Alpha AXP 150 (jensen) with Linux - ??

8. Where can i find xgrab (or equivalent)?

9. RedHat Linux 6.2 on DECpc AXP 150 Jensen (Alpha)

10. Trying to install Redhat 5.2 on Jensen DECpc axp 150

11. Alpha AXP 150 (a.k.a. Jensen)

12. Succesfull install on DEC 2000 150 AXP (Jensen)?

13. Confirmation about Jensen AXP-150