traceroute on RH 5.2

Post by Dragos-Anton Manolesc » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Could someone confirm that traceroute works Ok on RedHat 5.2
(preferably on avanti, but any other platform would do)? I am trying
to figure out some weird networking problems that started to show up
after I have upgraded from 5.1.

I have 2 machines running 5.2, an Alpha and a Pentium. Their
configuration is identical--except that they have different IPs and
the Pentrium's Ethernet is a PCMCIA. They are both on the same subnet
(a.b.c.122 and a.b.c.85).

- from the Pentium, traceroute reaches the Alpha as expected, in one
  hop

- from the Alpha, traceroute doesn't reach the Pentium at all; it
  shows 1 * * *
        2 * * *
        3 * * *
  and so on

There's another strange problem with the Alpha when both eth0 and ppp0
are up--see my previous posting. I'm just trying to narrow it
down... Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

-Dragos

traceroute on RH 5.2

Post by Dragos-Anton Manolesc » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>>> Dragos-Anton Manolescu writes:

I forgot to mention that all the other services that I've tried
(telnet, ftp, rsh, X) work Ok in both ways. Only traceroute has this
problem...

dm> Hi,
dm> Could someone confirm that traceroute works Ok on RedHat 5.2
dm> (preferably on avanti, but any other platform would do)? I am trying
dm> to figure out some weird networking problems that started to show up
dm> after I have upgraded from 5.1.

dm> I have 2 machines running 5.2, an Alpha and a Pentium. Their
dm> configuration is identical--except that they have different IPs and
dm> the Pentrium's Ethernet is a PCMCIA. They are both on the same subnet
dm> (a.b.c.122 and a.b.c.85).

dm> - from the Pentium, traceroute reaches the Alpha as expected, in one
dm>   hop

dm> - from the Alpha, traceroute doesn't reach the Pentium at all; it
dm>   shows 1 * * *
dm>         2 * * *
dm>         3 * * *
dm>   and so on

dm> There's another strange problem with the Alpha when both eth0 and ppp0
dm> are up--see my previous posting. I'm just trying to narrow it
dm> down... Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

dm> -Dragos

traceroute on RH 5.2

Post by Maciej W. Rozyck » Sun, 15 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Could someone confirm that traceroute works Ok on RedHat 5.2
> (preferably on avanti, but any other platform would do)? I am trying
> to figure out some weird networking problems that started to show up
> after I have upgraded from 5.1.
[...]
> - from the Alpha, traceroute doesn't reach the Pentium at all; it
>   shows 1 * * *
>         2 * * *
>         3 * * *
>   and so on

 AFAIK, traceroute computes UDP checksums incorrectly on 64-bit platforms.
That's why the last hop discards the packets.

--
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +