Linux vs Digital UNIX for our WWW server

Linux vs Digital UNIX for our WWW server

Post by Andreas Gassne » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I need some advice what to install on our new Alpha-Workstation,
RedHat 5.1 or Digital UNIX 4.0d.
The machine is our new WWW server. Because I have no experience
with Linux on Alphas here some important questions:

 - Is Linux on Alpha stable enough to do it's job 24 hours a day,
   365 days per year?
 - What about binary compatibility to DEC UNIX? Does it really work?
   (we have to use some ORACLE DB Libraries to connect to a database,
   so I really need it)
 - Java-Developers-Kit 1.1: There is only version 1.1.5 for
Alpha-Linux although Sun has already released 1.1.7.
   Are there any serious bugs in the 1.1.5 Linux-Alpha jdk?
   Does anybody know if it really compiles with lesstif?
   (we will start some java server programs on our www server to
   connect to different databases, so java must work)

If I forgot any important aspect please let me know.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Servus,

   Andreas

PS: Flames about my bad english will be redirected to /dev/null.
    Oh no, it's full!

Linux vs Digital UNIX for our WWW server

Post by Adam C. Powell, I » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm no expert, but since there are no other replies in over a week I'll
give it a try...

> Hi,

> I need some advice what to install on our new Alpha-Workstation,
> RedHat 5.1 or Digital UNIX 4.0d.
> The machine is our new WWW server. Because I have no experience
> with Linux on Alphas here some important questions:

(I know I'm going to get heat for this, but...)  I saw a good review of
several OSs for web servers, which gave top marks to Dec Unix (over
Linux, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, NT, what am I forgetting?).  The reviewer
seemed to know what he was talking about, and said that DU is really
geared toward very high disk-to-network throuhgput.  They were all using
a Netscape server, I think Enterprise.  (I wishI could find the URL...