VGA setting in console mode

Post by Andrew Kreb » Sun, 19 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have an Alpha Station 200 running RH 6.0.  How do I change the resolution?

VGA setting in console mode

Post by Eric Jon » Sun, 19 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I have an Alpha Station 200 running RH 6.0.  How do I change the resolution?

type 'man XF86Config'

--
---
Eric Jones

  If you can't figure out what to remove in the above addy to email me, then
you are a cephalopod.
  Here's a few email addresses to help out the spammers:

IS YOUR INTERNET BROKED? DOES EMAILING THE NETSCAPE SYSOP NOT FIX IT?

VGA setting in console mode

Post by Tony Hammit » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> >I have an Alpha Station 200 running RH 6.0.  How do I change the resolution?

> type 'man XF86Config'

> --
> ---
> Eric Jones

How is that going to help?  I think the original poster is asking about how
to change the VGA console mode.  This used to be easy with Intel boxes, you'd
just have a 'vga=blah' line in lilo.conf...

Perhaps you could try passing 'vga=ask' or some such to the kernel in the
boot parameters, I have no idea what it will do on an Alpha but on an Intel
box you would be prompted for which font you want.  I don't know how to do
it on your particular box, but on mine, I'd pass it to milo.

You can change the font with a command like this one:

consolechars -v -M ./ff2 -f /usr/lib/kbd/consolefonts/iso04.f08.psf.gz

but it doesn't change the number of rows of text displayed.

 On intel, there's a command called resizecons in the console-tools package
that hasn't been ported to alpha.  This may imply that it's not possible,
but I don't know.

Good luck,

Tony Hammitt

1. setting vga mode virtual consoles

Hi all

I'm running slackware 1.2 on a Toshiba T2200 notebook.  It has a
monochrome LCD vga screen.

At boot time, it sets consoles to EGA+ 80*25.

Can anybody tell me how I can change this to VGA?

Thanks in Advance.
Darren.

--
* NOTE
signature presently being upgraded.  New .sig should be bigger, better,

2. CERN 3.0 - auth setup error - can't figure it out!

3. Q: Switch console to 80x50 VGA mode

4. Some C++ wrappers for threads, critical sections, semaphores and shared libraries.

5. How do I reset the console VGA text mode in RH7.3+?

6. NoName AXPpci 33 & 2,1 EIDE DISK????

7. Console VGA mode problem

8. any mac/linux friendly UPS?

9. vga console compressed character mode?

10. Console VGA mode FUBAR?

11. Change Console VGA mode

12. How to set Xwindows into VGA 16-color mode ?

13. How can I set Xwindows to VGA mode ?