Do Partition Table and File System Depend on the CPU?

Do Partition Table and File System Depend on the CPU?

Post by Joerg Brueh » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:05:53

Dear Alpha Linux users,

I want to transfer some data (estimated: 500 MB .. 1 GB)
from an Alpha Linux machine to a Pentium Linux PC. Both use SuSE 7.0.
The Pentium has no network connection. I could use 150 MB cartridges,
but I would prefer using an external SCSI disk if possible.

1) Are the partition tables between these two CPUs compatible?
   (The Alpha machine uses PC-style tables, it runs ARC and MILO.)

2) If the answer to 1) is "yes":
   Do you see any obstacle to writing a "tar" archive to the
   partition on the Alpha and reading it on the Pentium?

3) If the answer to 1) is "yes":
   Is there any Unix-style file system whose on-disk structures
   can be used by both an Alpha and a Pentium CPU?
   (FAT is no option because I want to save access rights etc.)

4) If the answer to 1) is "no":
   Would a "tar" archive written to the disk device (without
   partitions) be transferable from the Alpha to the Pentium machine?

TIA,
Joerg Bruehe

--
Joerg Bruehe, SQL Datenbanksysteme GmbH, Berlin, Germany
     (speaking only for himself)

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:58:22

> Dear Alpha Linux users,

> I want to transfer some data (estimated: 500 MB .. 1 GB)
> from an Alpha Linux machine to a Pentium Linux PC. Both use SuSE 7.0.
> The Pentium has no network connection. I could use 150 MB cartridges,
> but I would prefer using an external SCSI disk if possible.

> 1) Are the partition tables between these two CPUs compatible?
>    (The Alpha machine uses PC-style tables, it runs ARC and MILO.)

Yes.  The only issue is with SRM (or BIOS, for PCs), only
understanding some types of partition tables.

Quote:> 2) If the answer to 1) is "yes":
>    Do you see any obstacle to writing a "tar" archive to the
>    partition on the Alpha and reading it on the Pentium?

No.

Quote:> 3) If the answer to 1) is "yes":
>    Is there any Unix-style file system whose on-disk structures
>    can be used by both an Alpha and a Pentium CPU?

Any.  Ext2/3, reiserfs, xfs, jfs, ...

Quote:>    (FAT is no option because I want to save access rights etc.)

FAT is never an option.

Quote:> 4) If the answer to 1) is "no":
>    Would a "tar" archive written to the disk device (without
>    partitions) be transferable from the Alpha to the Pentium machine?

Yes.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

Do Partition Table and File System Depend on the CPU?

Post by M?ns Rullg?r » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 02:58:00

(CHARSET: PC-8)
(PATH: 263/950 236/150 261/38 140/1 106/2000 123/500 3613/1275 134/10)

> Dear Alpha Linux users,

> I want to transfer some data (estimated: 500 MB .. 1 GB)
> from an Alpha Linux machine to a Pentium Linux PC. Both use SuSE 7.0.
> The Pentium has no network connection. I could use 150 MB cartridges,
> but I would prefer using an external SCSI disk if possible.

> 1) Are the partition tables between these two CPUs compatible?
>    (The Alpha machine uses PC-style tables, it runs ARC and MILO.)

Yes.  The only issue is with SRM (or BIOS, for PCs), only understanding some
types of partition tables.

Quote:> 2) If the answer to 1) is "yes":
>    Do you see any obstacle to writing a "tar" archive to the
>    partition on the Alpha and reading it on the Pentium?

No.

Quote:> 3) If the answer to 1) is "yes":
>    Is there any Unix-style file system whose on-disk structures
>    can be used by both an Alpha and a Pentium CPU?

Any.  Ext2/3, reiserfs, xfs, jfs, ...

Quote:>    (FAT is no option because I want to save access rights etc.)

FAT is never an option.

Quote:> 4) If the answer to 1) is "no":
>    Would a "tar" archive written to the disk device (without
>    partitions) be transferable from the Alpha to the Pentium machine?

Yes.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

--- BBBS/NT v4.01 Flag-5
 * Origin: TCOB1: A slice of life on your plate (2:263/950)

--
This message posted from Shurato's Heavenly Sphere Telnet BBS
telnet://shurato.darktech.org

Shurato:  Admin of SHS.

Post by Joerg Brueh » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:05:00

[...]

1. dos partition/invalid partition table

Hi all,

I have a question about disk partition and DOS.  First off, I have an
old 386 system, 8M RAM, hda is a 130M Seagate drive, and hdb is a 40M
Conner drive. (Both drives are IDE.)   I am using Slackware August
1995 CDs and kernel 1.2.8.  This is what happens.

I wanted to have a small DOS partition on the first drive, so I
followed, step by step, the instructions on formatting the disk with a
DOS boot floppy and creating the partition.  Everything was fine and
dandy, I could boot it when I was done so I was OK.  Next, I installed
Linux on the remainder of the disk, using the second disk as /tmp.
Again, fine and dandy.

The problem is that when I reboot the system, I get the message
'Invalid partition table'.  Argh ;-(  So, I did the whole thing again,
got the same message, and just for the fun of it, repeated it and got
the same message.

So, in frustration, I put the DOS partition on the second drive, used
all the first drive for Linux, and voila, it works.  I can't boot DOS
from the second drive, but at least I can see it from Linux - a
compromise at best, because I can imagine there will be times when I
need to boot DOS, and the whole floppy boot...

Anyways, if anybody knows why this is happening and/or can help me
out, I would appreciate some enlightment.

1900 South Norfolk Street        All opinions, if I had any, are my own.
San Mateo CA 94403

2. Thorny sendmail setup problem

3. Mounted file system policy and partition tables

4. Data for regexp testing

5. Can msdos file system handle double space DOS file system ?

6. Networking / Printing problems

7. Should mount autodetect vfat file systems (Was: Long filenames on DOS partitions)

8. Detach Process to No Show on 'ps'

9. Can File System Partitioning be done without reinstall in RH 7.3?

10. Dual-boot - accessing Linux file-system from DOS partition?

11. How can Dos partitions & Dos files be viewed in Linux ?

12. High system CPU% in dual CPU System

13. cp'ing files from Dos/Windows partition to Linux partition